Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8776 topics in this forum

• 32 replies
    • 48 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 123 replies
  1. Music for Eagle Ceremony

• 20 replies
  2. Scout Law Acronym

• 37 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 247 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 119 replies
    • 147 replies
    • 17 replies
  3. Position Codes

• 18 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• @scoutmaster759 welcome to scouter.com 
    • I am a newly minted Scoutmaster working on building a troop in an urban area predominantly split between a low income neighborhood and a high income neighborhood and working through Scouts to make a neighborhood a community.
    • I had a scout wake up when he turned 16 and decided he wanted to get eagle. We talked. I explained to him all the tight time lines. Then I let him be. He worked his butt off. Alas, he didn;t pay attention to one of those time lines and he missed it by about a month. Had I the time and was a bit more organized I would have reminded him but I was quite busy as well. I felt bad. I know he felt bad. But he was also quite honorable about it. I was impressed. I told him if he ever needed a letter of recommendation I'd write him a glowing one. He took me up on that. I think he's in med school or something. Bright. Talented. A bit disorganized. But he'll make the world a better place. He was also one of the best SPL's we've ever had. Bottom line, give them some encouragement but let them be. They need to figure this out. They need to want it. They need to make it happen. But they don't need to get it. @Cburkhardt, I've seen plenty of people that try to solve every little problem for the scouts. Half my time spent at eagle projects was always grabbing parents aside and telling them the scouts need to find the problems and solve them because that's where the learning occurs. It's the learning that we're after. The rank is just a carrot for the scouts.
    • http://usscouts.org/advancementTOC.asp#cub  
    • As everyone can see there are many different and valid ways to do this, and many believe strongly in their views. This  is great because it confirms the importance of our chosen volunteer work. One circumstance I will note is that leaders of all-girl troops are particularly tasked to simultaneously start up a unit and provide concentrated attention to these older girls.  I think utilizing the advantages of top-notch summer camp staff and programs Can be a smart way for new girl troops to go.  But I recognize these other approaches as very good.
  • Who's Online (See full list)