Summit Bechtel Community Appreciation Day - June 15

Director of Program and Operations Kenn Miller told MetroNews (that) visitors will be able to participate in all on-site activities at no cost, June 15, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

“As I visit with friends and neighbors in the community, what I hear is, most know about the summit. Many haven’t had the opportunity to come on the site, and we’ve opened that up to many more activities,” said Miller, who said he hoped fishing enthusiasts in particular would take advantage of an experience they otherwise may not find in the area. “We’d encourage you to bring your own gear, if that’s something you’d like to do, but we do stock our lakes, and you’re going to catch some good ones, I promise.”

Miller said the addition of several new permanent structures and facilities at Bechtel Summit Reserve to accommodate participants from 150 countries in the upcoming World Scout Jamboree also will provide a unique regional venue for future events, such as concerts and religious gatherings, which typically attract thousands of people, and have the potential to generate a boost in economic activity for southern West Virginia.

“We’re talking to a number of large-denomination churches, some other groups, associations. What we have to offer is pretty hard to find any place else, in the size and scale that we have at the summit. So, we do believe it’s a great resource, ” he said. “We know — certainly for the World Jamboree and even our other seasonal programming — the majority of our participants have never been to the state of West Virginia, and this is their first experience, and they’re having a great time, which means they’re going to come back and they’re going to bring their friends.”

bechtel-day-272x350.png

More at Source:

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/05/26/summit-bechtel-reserve-to-host-community-appreciation-day-ahead-of-global-scouting-event/

Edited by RememberSchiff

Hmmm.  I have mixed emotions about events like this.  

Publicity is usually a good thing, but the Summit's attraction is that it offers adventure activities in a wilderness environment.  Bringing in lots of tourists, church groups, etc., can diminish the outdoor experience and take away resources that could be better used to build stronger programs for the scouts.

Just my 2 cents....

• 2 years later...

I just came back from the Summit after doing the NRA Track in NCS and that place is huge! Lots of cool stuff that, even as an adult, I would want to do. This probably is strictly a PR event and well-timed considering the bankruptcy decision is supposed to be coming.