• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is pretty much the exact same argument folks had when the BSA announced that it would allow gay boys in Scouts but allow Troops to make their own decision on whether to include gay boys or not. 

It's Tuesday and apparently there was a survey and the survey was of people (families) that are not involved in the Boy Scouts of America  at this time (in fact some do not even live on this planet mu

@Tampa Turtle  Thank you. I am actually not walking away from BSA - BSA walked away from me. I have stayed the same - Scouting has changed. I am not leaving in protest and anger. Rather I am

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Few interesting points...FAQ indicates

boy and girl Troops cannot have the same SM.

boy and girl Troops can meet at same time and place

Actually - Chartered organizations should have separate Scoutmasters for their boy troop and girl troop.  That means not encouraged but not prohibited.  If not allowed the wording would (I assume) be cannot 

1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

Actually - Chartered organizations should have separate Scoutmasters for their boy troop and girl troop.  That means not encouraged but not prohibited.  If not allowed the wording would (I assume) be cannot 

So the first scentence ("No."), doesn't mean "No"?

Not a very progressive step in welcoming young women.

• Haha 1

So boy troop and girl troop can share committees, meet at the same time and place, have joint open/close ceremonies, plan joint events, attend mixed-sex camporees, ....but must run separate meetings because....? 

2 hours ago, Pale Horse said:

So boy troop and girl troop can share committees, meet at the same time and place, have joint open/close ceremonies, plan joint events, attend mixed-sex camporees, ....but must run separate meetings because....? 

Oh, oh, I know this.

It's because ...wait I memorized it... girls mature faster than boys and so they will take over the meeting and the boys will let them...  :rolleyes:

Edited by RememberSchiff
12 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Oh, oh, I know this.

It's because ...wait I memorized it... girls mature faster than boys and so they will take over the meeting and the boys will let them...  :rolleyes:

LOL I love it !  and so very true.

22 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Oh, oh, I know this.

And tell the helicopter parent to back off.

Barry

• Haha 1

Similar question was asked to Nationals. Here is a response from one of their reps.

“The objective is to ensure girls have a clear path for Leadership opportunities.  A Troop of mostly boys may only vote for boy leadership keeping girls from having elected leadership positions.  There is also a concern of boys not running against girls on an election thus cutting off opportunity for boys to serve in Leader positions.  That’s why separate troops are important for program delivery.”

• Upvote 1

How can this go wrong? ..... There will be two SPLs, one boy and one girl. That's okay, assuming they really are doing separate programs. But they won't, because there's only one committee to support them. So there will be, wait for it, co-SPLs. That should work just fine. :confused:

• Haha 1

Call it what you want, linked troops will be coed units.  But that has obviously been the plan all along.  The dishonesty and doublespeak is just atrocious.

The whole one committee has 2 troops is again (as with most of this rollout) just a statement made in a world of fantasy.  Most troops have enough trouble getting a committee together to actually meet for 1 unit, much less 2 units.

Such a mixed message and really poor messaging.  As has been stated, the CSE and BSA National is plunging ahead like they have never seen an actual unit function in the real world...with real volunteers...and real actual parents.  There is likely little credence to the statements that CO and troops can elect to remain single gender.  No doubt that will change in short order.

BSA National...just be honest with what you are planning.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Jameson76 said:

As has been stated, the CSE and BSA National is plunging ahead like they have never seen an actual unit function in the real world...with real volunteers...and real actual parents.  There is likely little credence to the statements that CO and troops can elect to remain single gender.  No doubt that will change in short order.

BSA National...just be honest with what you are planning.

Sadly, I have seen this first hand as a pro. A lot of new DEs are just out of college with little to no experience in the program. Prior to going to "DE School" aka Professional Development Level 1 training, I needed to complete basic training for all levels of traditional Scouting: Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Sea Exploring/Exploring (now Sea Scouts and Venturing). Thankfully all I needed was Cub Scout Basic Leader training. But you can only learn so much from training, no matter how good the trainer. And DEs are not encouraged to work with units. I busted my butt working with one unit to help get them started and was severely reprimanded. While I did not help them in an official Scouting capacity after the reprimand, as a member of the CO, I helped them out. 

I have found the further up a pro goes, the less in touch with the volutneers on the ground they are.

• Upvote 1