Are your Resident Camps/Summer Camps opening?

17 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

I’m actually shocked the camp is planning to start at the end of May. That’s very close if you think about it. I have a feeling it will not be starting until later in June. 

I don't know how they can start it later in June without either a) cancelling those troops who had early to mid-June reservations or b) move the end of the camp season back to mid-August.  

Both have their issues with a) will most likely cause a lot of ill-will for those canceled troops and b) being you will lose the majority of your camp staff if the camp season runs much past August 1st.  Most public schools here in Indiana start up in early August, not to mention the college aged  kids.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe the lack of mBs and no dining halls will allow scouts to have a real summer camp as described by BP instead of simply "living under canvas".

Our camps have been canceled for all the the lower penninsula of Michigan for the summer and no in person meetings/activities until further notice. On a different but related note, 2 dams in mid

31 minutes ago, MacBrave said:

I don't know how they can start it later in June without either a) cancelling those troops who had early to mid-June reservations or b) move the end of the camp season back to mid-August.  

Both have their issues with a) will most likely cause a lot of ill-will for those canceled troops and b) being you will lose the majority of your camp staff if the camp season runs much past August 1st.  Most public schools here in Indiana start up in early August, not to mention the college aged  kids.

I would assume they would want to only cancel maybe 2 weeks instead of the whole summer. It’s really hard to say what each council will do.

There are going to be problems no matter what way it goes.

Edited by ItsBrian
1 hour ago, MacBrave said:

How can any reasonable individuals have ill will towards the council or camp if the virus situation means some weeks of camp has to be cancelled in June, but the council and health authorities deem it safe to proceed with later weeks in July? As long as they get a refund, it's a literal act of God. Given the logistical challenges of putting together a camp, training and hiring staff, I could see the whole summer cancelled rather than partial cancellations, but we'll see.

Edited by Sentinel947
1 minute ago, Sentinel947 said:

As long as they get a refund, it's a literal act of God. 

This.

Also I can tell you, some families have already said "NO" to summer camp, even if everything clears up.

2 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

This.

Also I can tell you, some families have already said "NO" to summer camp, even if everything clears up.

Yea. It's easy for me to say that camp should be reopened when the health authorities say it safe to do so, but I'm not a parent. So my (non existent) kids don't have to live with the consequences. That being said, if the government allows childcare facilities/ schools to reopen and the restrictions that will still be in place allow for something like a camp, and the Council can pull off the logistics, I see no reason why not to have it. If we get to a reasonable time horizon before camp and it's clear it won't be safe, or the restrictions left in place won't make it manageable, it should be cancelled. I would hope council pros are in touch with health professionals and their local governments to make those decisions. Right now, at least in Ohio, if camp was next week, it'd be cancelled. We'll see what June holds. 

41 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

How can any reasonable individuals have ill will towards the council or camp if the virus situation means some weeks of camp has to be cancelled in June, but the council and health authorities deem it safe to proceed with later weeks in July? As long as they get a refund, it's a literal act of God. Given the logistical challenges of putting together a camp, training and hiring staff, I could see the whole summer cancelled rather than partial cancellations, but we'll see.

I’m not sure why canceling the whole summer (if not needed) would be done. Every week is the same, the staff is in repeat mode. If the first 2 weeks gets cancelled, there’s still 5 weeks left. I know some camps are shorter, but the one I work at is 7 + staff week.

2 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I’m not sure why canceling the whole summer (if not needed) would be done. Every week is the same, the staff is in repeat mode. If the first 2 weeks gets cancelled, there’s still 5 weeks left. I know some camps are shorter, but the one I work at is 7 + staff week.

Because Covid-19 doesn't disappear once a government official removes stay-at-home orders.  Until there is a vaccine, secondary/tertiary/etc. outbreak is a real threat.  Gathering 250 kids together, with what is a best mediocre sanitation (we all have stories of having to drag kids to take showers) is a scenario that could derail the rest of the summer.  I'm all for putting the efforts at planning, but I would not bank on summer camp happening. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Estimated U.S. deaths from communicable diseases, major causes - 2017 ( per CDC )

• Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672

Edited by TAHAWK
1 hour ago, HashTagScouts said:

Because Covid-19 doesn't disappear once a government official removes stay-at-home orders.  Until there is a vaccine, secondary/tertiary/etc. outbreak is a real threat.  Gathering 250 kids together, with what is a best mediocre sanitation (we all have stories of having to drag kids to take showers) is a scenario that could derail the rest of the summer.  I'm all for putting the efforts at planning, but I would not bank on summer camp happening. 

Oh I’m aware, but I’m just say if the officials deem that x date is when they deem it safe to be in large gathers & all that stuff. 

I was talking more so if the  officials said May 30th (Random date) is when it is safe for schools, camps, etc to open and operate. I would assume the council would cancel whatever weeks are before and during that time, then operate after that. 

Edited by ItsBrian
1 hour ago, ItsBrian said:

Oh I’m aware, but I’m just say if the officials deem that x date is when they deem it safe to be in large gathers & all that stuff. 

I was talking more so if the  officials said May 30th (Random date) is when it is safe for schools, camps, etc to open and operate. I would assume the council would cancel whatever weeks are before and during that time, then operate after that. 

I would say all planning right now is to open as usual, and have contingencies to cancel week-to-week as necessary.  I don't know about anyone else's camp, but we have work weekends and then staff week to get everything setup, so if that gets cancelled then week 1 would already need to be cancelled to get that done.  The "re-openning" from the pandemic is going to be very regional I would anticipate.

Anyone weighing summer camp or other youth activities this summer needs to pay attention to the latest CDC report in Morbidity and Mortality released today. The report documents more than 2500 US pediatric infections, albeit many of them mild, but hundreds have resulted in hospitalization and there have been three deaths. It is useful to note that the median age of infected patients is 11 years and not all of the most serious cases have had underlying conditions reported.  Children are less at risk, but they are still at risk. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6914e4.htm?s_cid=mm6914e4_w

So, this is where it starts to sound perverse.

What we are being asked to do will not stop junior from getting the virus. It will delay it. The long bet is that in areas first hit, where half of the population has been infected (not half tested positive, there's a difference) herd immunity will become more efficient at slowing the disease than social distancing. At that point governments need to let off the brakes, and bet (yes, bet, welcome to the highest stakes game on the planet) that hospitals will have ramped up enough to handle the new cases -- including pediatric cases -- as they appear through the summer. Then, when (not if) wave two roams the earth next year, those yet to be infected will have a hard time finding Saars-Cov-2 for their cells to suck up and replicate ... hard enough that, by the time a vaccine rolls out after wave two and hopefully before wave three, there will be a safe vaccine to help us artificially inflate herd immunity to something along the lines of what we have now against measles.

If we get a vaccine before wave two, it will be a human achievement the equivalent of a manned landing on Mercury.

Until then, the world will have to count on kids, sooner or later, going outside, playing, and spreading germs at a rate that we all can can tolerate. Exactly when is in the hands of some friends whose jobs I'm not particularly envying.

... You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em ...

• Upvote 3
21 minutes ago, qwazse said:

What we are being asked to do will not stop junior from getting the virus. It will delay it.

This is where I'm at. At the end of the day, our job is to protect youth. Delaying camp is just delaying the inevitable, not protecting against it. 

Also, not to be rude, but many Scout leaders are not exactly spring chickens. 

9 hours ago, carebear3895 said:

This is where I'm at. At the end of the day, our job is to protect youth. Delaying camp is just delaying the inevitable, not protecting against it. 

Also, not to be rude, but many Scout leaders are not exactly spring chickens. 

The reason to NOT encourage large gatherings, is the swell that would occur to the higher-risk groups.  Hospitals are overwhelmed now trying to treat people, and that is with only 300k having the virus.  Our health system would very much collapse if we had even a 15% increase to inpatient #s in many areas.

• Upvote 1
  • MattR locked this topic
  • MattR unlocked this topic