Using TroopMaster Web for a Lone Scout

Hello,

We are transitioning our son who is a Scout registered with disabilities from a Troop to the Lone Scout program.  We plan to continue his journey in Scouting for a long time. We have been members of a Troop and recently decided it was in his best interest to switch him to the Lone Scout program.  And we got approval! Yay.  I am very familiar with the TroopMaster program and have utilizied it for various units.  I am aware there is a cost to the program, and we are willing to pay this annual fee.  We would like to create a Unit in TroopMaster Web and transfer his history to this new Lone Scout Unit. To date, his scouting journey records are all contained in the TroopMaster program - as well as My Scouting. I understand we will need to go through Council to post his advancements, mb's and other awards.  I would like to continue using TroopMaster to record all this as well.  Can anyone tell me if we can create a Lone Scout Unit in Troopmaster Web?  

Welcome @ChristineErtz!

Sorry, I have no experience with Troopmaster.

But, I have lots of experience with Lone Scouting.  My son was a Cub Scout while we were overseas.  We tracked everything manually, and emailed in scanned, completed advancement reports to our servicing council registrar.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Eagle_Chris said:

Have you considered just using ScoutBook?  This would keep his advancement and requirement completions right in the BSA system.

I am a number one fan of Scoutbook. The issue is, that Scoutbook does not support Lone Scouts. Don't ask about it in the forums, that is the answer you will get. Why not? I don't know. It seems like it would be simple. Make the adult guide "everything" and a troop of 1. I don't know. 

• Upvote 1
On 10/9/2023 at 7:33 PM, mrjohns2 said:

I am a number one fan of Scoutbook. The issue is, that Scoutbook does not support Lone Scouts. Don't ask about it in the forums, that is the answer you will get. Why not? I don't know. It seems like it would be simple. Make the adult guide "everything" and a troop of 1. I don't know. 

Yes, it would be too easy.  But then, everyone would sign up to be a Lone Scout, and units would die.

Do not look for them to change this policy any time soon.  Although, IMO, it would increase membership.

Yes, I am aware that Council has and will continue to use Scoutbook to record his advancements, merit badges, etc.  As his Lone Scout Counselor, the only means I would have access to his records in Scoutbook is to go through our Council.  I know I will need to have Council record everything in Scoutbook, I simply want to utilize TroopMaster in addition to Council using Scoutbook.  To date his scouting journey is in both.  I know TM and I would like to continue using it.  I know I would not be able to upload his information to Council.  - At least thats what I understand!? So I'm just trying to find out if TM would allow me to set up a account for him as a Lone Scout.  Then I could transfer him from the Troop to his Lone Scout account within TM. 

45 minutes ago, ChristineErtz said:

Yes, I am aware that Council has and will continue to use Scoutbook to record his advancements, merit badges, etc.  As his Lone Scout Counselor, the only means I would have access to his records in Scoutbook is to go through our Council.  I know I will need to have Council record everything in Scoutbook, I simply want to utilize TroopMaster in addition to Council using Scoutbook.  To date his scouting journey is in both.  I know TM and I would like to continue using it.  I know I would not be able to upload his information to Council.  - At least thats what I understand!? So I'm just trying to find out if TM would allow me to set up a account for him as a Lone Scout.  Then I could transfer him from the Troop to his Lone Scout account within TM. 

Just got off the phone with Troopmaster.

There are no lower limits to the amount of Scouts you can track.  So, yes, you can track a Lone Scout in Troopmaster.

If you have any additional questions.  Please call their number : 434-589-6788

https://www.troopmaster.com/index.html

They answered the phone (no automated menus) and the tech was very helpful when I called them.  They are awaiting your call with any further questions.  They are going to be your very best resource for any questions related to TM.

You can purchase and download the software from their website.

I recommend you ask them that if it does not work according to your questions, would you get a full refund.

49 minutes ago, ChristineErtz said:

And a point of clarification.  Council does not use Scoutbook to track your Scout.  They use a system called Internet Advancement 2.0

Scoutbook is a User Interface that pulls all of its data from IA.  (as I understand it.)

• Upvote 1