Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9612 topics in this forum

• 23 replies
    • 28.1k views
    • 9 replies
    • 3.8k views
  1. D&EI MB ON HOLD

• 0 replies
    • 2.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.1k views
  2. ZERO HOUR

• 14 replies
    • 1.6k views
  3. Zebras and Ducks

• 13 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 9 replies
    • 1.1k views
  4. YPT question

• 9 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 62 replies
    • 7.4k views
  5. YPT and family members 1 2 3

• 33 replies
    • 6k views
    • 12 replies
    • 1.4k views
  6. YP/Program Quality 1 2 3 4 12

• 169 replies
    • 21.5k views
  7. YP and G2SS Questions 1 2 3 4

• 48 replies
    • 5.4k views
    • 20 replies
    • 3.3k views
  8. Youth Training 1 2

• 20 replies
    • 3.3k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• I asked my dad, but it was the generation before him that experienced the change so his experience was pretty much like mine... at this point you really need a historian, the people who lived it are almost all dead now. I did find out that during his time, our troop was a sea scout ship. They spent a lot of spring meetings readying the boats. We still owned some of them when I came through, moored at the same dock. Even though we were a troop we did learn to rig and sail gigs, probably because the troop used to be a ship!
    • Totally agree! We actually work with the local multicultural community center in town. We are starting our first, hopefully not last, pack yard sale with all proceeds going to the center to help support their after-school and summer programs. In turn, hopefully we have enough exposure to recruit some of those youth that go to the center. If not, oh well. That was never the aim anyways. 
    • They know the deal when they sign up. Usually they are friends with someone in the Pack. We get most of them back. 
    • Now we are talking about BSA in general.  You are way off on the homosexual vs bisexual comment. The great majority of pedophiles are heterosexual. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1556756/ On whether the Boy Scouts did their best... I don't think I can add anything that will change your mind but note that your description of how an SE or TCC would have analyzed the situation has no mention of doing the right thing and is all about liability and reputation. 
    • This is Hooey, When the initial allegations came forward about the nude photos he could have been removed as a member of the BSA period. There is no god given right to be an adult member of BSA. How many young boys could have been saved?  And they did have standing as he was part of their organization. Taking nude photos of young boys and having sexual relationships with them is neither homosexuality or bisexuality. How can you possibly say they removed the threat as best they could when after the nude photos came up they allowed him access to children. That is called gross negligence. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)