YPT infraction reporting help

This is a wild one. I don't think I have enough information to really say what I think happened. If I were investigating this I would want to question any adults that witnessed the initial situation. I would also want to question any adults that witnessed the follow up interaction between the camp master and the SM.

I read the response of the district and council as they didn't give a flying F and are now not participating. I just can't believe that; I'm reading this as a YPT scenario during the largest YPT lawsuit in the history of our country. That dog don't hunt. There is a huge part of this story that is not getting posted here. 

As for the pink shirt issue that started this. The Troop made the mistake of allowing this to happen by not having a declared Troop color for the uniform of the day when not in the field uniform. In my opinion all fault for that will fall on the committee for not having a uniformity rule in place; they never should have allowed shirts of any color in the first place. Part of the methods of Scouting is uniformity; the committee failed on that issue.

As to the OP being fired. Scouters serve at the discretion of the CC with authority derived from the COR. No vote is needed, no escalation of privilege's is required. Per the BSA district and council training program any person who has the authority to secure you as a volunteer/hire you, has in turn the authority to terminate your service. 

In regards to the committee pursuing an investigation or whatever they were calling it. I think they absolutely can do that as long as they are not obstructing the investigation of higher offices in the BSA. I think the COR can do whatever he wants without regard to the BSA investigation; the COR has a primary responsibility to the CO. 

My recommendation for actions moving forward are to find a new Troop. Don't feel bad about your time invested in the old Troop, try and frame this mentally the same way that you would have if your family changed Troops due to a job change. You have made your complaints from district to national, keep your records and let district through national do their thing. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to agree that, on it's face, this wasn't really a YP violation.  It may well have been a "Bad Scoutmaster " situation, but not a Youth Protection violation.  A single incidence of being mean

I'm kinda disturbed by the attitude displayed here that bullying is not a reportable incident. Handling stuff like this on the quiet is a big part of what has led to the BSA's current legal trouble.

I'd draw a distinction between conducting an investigation (implying having authority to investigate, collect evidence, draw conclusions, and perhaps take disciplinary action), and merely collecting e

Posted Images

On 5/19/2022 at 2:11 PM, SiouxRanger said:

Does it matter?

Yes.  If the adults were not in the troop, no reason to report the incident to the boys CC or COR - a SE or Unit Commissioner may be a more appropriate resource.

I believe what you are asking is does where they are from excuse the behavior.  The answer of course is no.

Gosh, re-reading this thread 2 years later brings up some strong opinions:

1) I can sympathize to some degree because I've got a 1st grader who doesn't like going to school because of a few peers who play rough at recess. We've expressed some concerns, but have been rebuffed. I'm not sure I can tell him to stand up for himself because as soon he's seen pushing another kid, it would be our luck that the playground supervisors FINALLY assert themselves and he winds up labeled as the aggressor. 

2) An adult bullying a child over the color of their t-shirt is definitely not OK, but if a single incident results in a YPT violation and report to the council, we're going to run out of leaders fast. My biggest fear as a Den Leader is that one poor choice of words (or stroll into the wrong latrine) lands my face in the newspaper and makes me a social pariah.