Jump to content

Major Change in Chartered Organization Relationship


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wonder why something like this wasn't in the Churchill project? Also the old form used to require an annual sit down visit with the CO.    Never happened of course so the solution is  let's just

The answer to pretty much all of your questions is yes, the Church can do and decide all of those things if that is how they want to run their troop. The Chartering Organization, the Church in yo

For the most part, there was nothing unexpected. Some of my impressions: (1) The United Methodist Church remains very supportive of Boy Scouting and endorses the traditional chartered organizatio

Posted Images

7 hours ago, SSScout said:

Oh good. A ""Faith and Chaplaincy"  discussion....   

Told ya we need a separate forum, but noooo....

But if we had one then we couldn't place bets on the next time you'd remind us we didn't have it.

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I am already signed up or have on my calendar the webinar for tomorrow.  I was sent a similar note from our local minister.  My main concern, before seeing the webinar is the definition of Ownership and transferring it to the local council.  That is a little bit of a concern for a century old unit with historical items and documents.  Also, how that affects any banking situations?  My nightmare would be the idea that somehow the Council could simply walk in and take our equipment and whatever else they chose.  Would hope that was addressed in the agreement, but have to wait to see.  

Related could be how this will affect other Sponsor arrangements?  IF this form is set in motion, will  it become the new method for all?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, skeptic said:

My main concern, before seeing the webinar is the definition of Ownership and transferring it to the local council.  That is a little bit of a concern for a century old unit with historical items and documents.  Also, how that affects any banking situations?  My nightmare would be the idea that somehow the Council could simply walk in and take our equipment and whatever else they chose.  Would hope that was addressed in the agreement, but have to wait to see.  

My main worry as well. I have seen this done with OA funds and property.  I remember an SE appropriated "excess funds" from the OA account as a donation to the council's FOS campaign. Those funds were earmarked for camp improvements for the upcoming conclave at the camp. And when all the bills came due, OA  had no money to pay the bills. Then the SE was complaining about "The lodge supports the council, not the other way around." when council was asked to pay the bills since they took the money. One local chapter spent thousands of dollars over the years buying and getting donated equipment to a local camp. They were the ones that maintained the camp, not the council, over the years. Especially when the caretaker died, the OA chapter was doing it all: maintaining and repairing the camp, providing a campmaster, etc.  Camp ranger from the main camp came to the local camp one day and took the the zero turn mower, a bunch of hand tools and the storage rack made for the hand tools, AND one volunteer's flair mower! This was done with one one knowing it was going to happen.

I know the OA is owned by the council, and that any property and money is really owned by the council. But if they are willing to do this, what will they do with units?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dixit said:

UMC and BSA agree on new "affiliation agreement" which relies on the Council chartered unit model

https://www.resourceumc.org/en/content/gcumm-shares-new-path-forward-for-scouting-ministry

This is what I said last fall was the most likely outcome of the negotiations between the UMC and BSA.

I don't think that it is a stretch to think that this may be the norm in a few years and that many of the larger charter organizations will go the same route.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be interesting to see how this is executed.   BSA National pushing more workload on the LCs without any resources.   Will they hire more staff and spread the cost to all units via "we need more FOS"?   LC will now "own" units and will they have to have LC approval to spend a nickel? 

I wonder if this  was "you take the UMC units or we will LDS you" ?  

One UMC church stopped sponsoring their troop and pack and they got an new sponsor with the American Legion.

Lots of issues.. Just my thoughts.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PACAN said:

This will be interesting to see how this is executed.   BSA National pushing more workload on the LCs without any resources.   Will they hire more staff and spread the cost to all units via "we need more FOS"?   LC will now "own" units and will they have to have LC approval to spend a nickel? 

I wonder if this  was "you take the UMC units or we will LDS you" ?  

One UMC church stopped sponsoring their troop and pack and they got an new sponsor with the American Legion.

Lots of issues.. Just my thoughts.  

We will probably experience the same amount of neglect as do we currently 😜

Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I understanding this correctly? The UMC will still provide space to meet, and expect access to provide religious services, but the COR is now at the Council? Does this mean the LC's are going to have to have district, or council committees of CORs?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

We will probably experience the same amount of neglect as do we currently 😜

Webinar this evening.  As noted, my main concern is the "ownership model".  As noted above, will we have to beg for funding from council, oris there some method that has been designed to circumvent that?  I do know that should council somehow think they are going to "take" equipment and other things from us they will not get a positive response.  Hope that will not come up.  Hoping for  a lot of clarification.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tron said:

 Does this mean the LC's are going to have to have district, or council committees of CORs?

Technically CORs are already members of both. In actuality, they don't attend.

52 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

We will probably experience the same amount of neglect as do we currently 😜

Don't know. Some UMC churches are phenomenal in their chartering responsibilities.

 

22 minutes ago, skeptic said:

Webinar this evening.  As noted, my main concern is the "ownership model".  As noted above, will we have to beg for funding from council, oris there some method that has been designed to circumvent that?  I do know that should council somehow think they are going to "take" equipment and other things from us they will not get a positive response.  Hope that will not come up.  Hoping for  a lot of clarification.

My concern too. I stated in another thread what happened with the OA.

I know how one unit handled a greedy IH that provided 0 support to the unit over the years, then when they found out they owned gear and money in the bank decided to shut the unit down, and keep everything. The unit payed all expenses for their Scouts for several  council and national events, sold the gear for pennies on the dollar to units their scouts were transferring to, and left a balance of $100 as a thank you for letting use the place. IH was ticked, but the CO's treasurer, who was an ASM in another troop, had no issues with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

email I just got from the SE.   Its all very "clear"

 

Quote

Partners,

 

Thank you for all you are doing to ensure quality Scouting programs for youth. National BSA leadership has been working in partnership with the United Methodist Church Leadership (“UMC”) to establish a new agreement that enables us to continue our 100 plus year relationship.

 

Tonight, the UMC and BSA have invited Scouting unit leaders to a Webinar. The objective of this gathering is to review this new affiliation agreement. Both the BSA and the UMC understand that this is a new process and will take time to implement at the local church, council, and unit level. Given that our current Chartered Partner Agreement expires on June 30, 2022, the BSA and UMC have agreed to a 120-day transition period, beginning July 1, 2022.  

 

While we look forward to continuing a great relationship with the UMC please recognize that our council and its units may seek alternatives to the Affiliation Agreement. It is important to remember that all Circle Ten Council Scouting volunteers and Scouts are registered until December 31, 2022. Further, each Scouting leader is background checked and youth protection trained. Scouting continues for youth during this time of transition and continued discussion. During the next 4 months Circle Ten Council leaders and UMC Scout volunteers and UMC leaders need to explore what is the best path forward for each Church and each Scouting Unit. There are other paths beyond the new Affiliation Agreement.

 

We look forward to continuing our long-standing relationship with the United Methodist Church.  Again, thank you for all you do to support the Scouting program.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@skeptic  @skeptic  Please fill us in on what is covered at the webinar.  Thanks

 

@Eagle94-A1  I know of another unit that did the same thing. Divested all their $$ and gave all their gear to another unit.

 

@Inquisitivescouter    @InquisitiveScouter  I think what he meant was no matter who the sponsor is, the council gives the same lousy service

 

Edited by RememberSchiff
fix @ member, start typing but select from dropdown
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...