Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8780 topics in this forum

• 10 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 32 replies
    • 48 replies
    • 0 replies
  1. ZERO HOUR

• 14 replies
  2. Zebras and Ducks

• 13 replies
    • 9 replies
  3. YPT question

• 9 replies
    • 12 replies
  4. YP and G2SS Questions

• 48 replies
  5. Youth Training

• 20 replies
  6. Youth Training

• 3 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 20 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• When I did it back in the day, it could take a year. Part of that was you had to go on a retreat. I did mine in about 6 months, but we were also doing other Scout stuff. Don't remember many details except the retreat and going to the cathedral for the archbishop to present it to us.
    • Our troop is planning on starting an Ad Altare Dei program, the BSA religious award for Roman Catholic scouts,  for interested scouts in our troop and a couple other local troops. The materials say the program could take 6-8 months but it doesn't seem at irst brush that it should take that long to compete. Has anyone run this program or seen it run recently?  How long did it take?  How often did you meet?  Any starting tips you'd like to pass along?
    • I don't know about satin hats or bonnets, whatever the heck that means.  But I've looked pretty rough when dropping my kids off at school, and once or twice when I noticed they left something important on the back seat, say lunch or some paper that needed to be turned in that morning I turned around and took it into school --- I didn't care that I hadn't showered, shaved, dressed for work yet, etc. Of course I wasn't the only one.  One cold morning on the way to school I noticed a car on the side of the road on an otherwise deserted stretch.  On the way back about a mile further along I saw a gentleman dressed in cartoon print pajama bottoms, a hoody, and a pair of crocs.  I pulled over and said "I bet you need a ride somewhere."  Yup, his car died on the way home from dropping his own kids off.
    • I can't imagine it working any way but turning into being a den leader. If I want to tell a bunch of kids what to do, I'll stay with my pack.
    • It's always fun to read something that just flat out does not fit in to the usual ideas. I certainly don't know how many kids are confused about their sex but my guess is every kid is confused about how they fit in. And the beauty of scouts is everyone is welcome. The only expectation is to try.
  • Who's Online (See full list)