Tent set up question

At summer camp two boys sharing a tent put down rugs & a tarp to avoid splinters in their feet, bugs and dirt inside. An older scout told them it was not allowed because the rugs stuck out when the flaps were closed. The two boys asked the scout why it's not allowed and he replied with because my mom told me. 

Is there a 'rule' or some tent etiquette that states this? It caused quite a controversy since 2 tents were set up this way.

IMAG9666.jpg

Looks to me like some Scouts who have learned how to make their home-away-from-home more comfortable.  Isnt this what we want - for Scouts to be resourceful and go beyond the bare minimum?  For them to be comfortable in the outdoors rather than "just survive"?  Isn't it like the Scouts who make a "4 star" meal instead of hot dogs?

Edited by jjlash
  • Upvote 3

The rug stuck out? So, the reasoning is the tent is not uniform, or something? If it was truly outlandish, maybe it could be the SPL's call but certainly not mom. Either way, this is just a dumb way to lose trust with the scouts.

They should have let it be.

• Upvote 2

Jealousy, pure jealousy...  "gee, why didn't I think of that?"

Rugs, skeeter netting, cots, camp chests,  lanterns, where's the Welcome Mat?

Obviously, these Scouts have been to Scout Camp before.  My buddy Don and I once got an award for the "amenities" with which we had embellished our campsite at an OA "Salamagundi". I still have the medal in my box...

Reminds me of the electrical outlet a Scoutmaster strapped to a tree. He plugged in his battery powered cordless shaver each morning, and the Scouts went "wowwww".

• Haha 1

Oh the glamping is the ruination of our scouts!  

But yah, um, Scout leaders take rugs, Scouts take rugs, and this isn't the military. I like to put out a small, old crappy tarp in front of my tent. 

Now if the scout's underwear was hanging out of the tent, I'd be asking the scouts to please take care of their stuff better.  

There's no safety risk here. At worse if it rains the rugs outside will get a little wet and could act as a wick and pull moisture into the tent. Might pull in some bugs, but what doesn't pull bugs in? 

2 hours ago, karunamom3 said:

At summer camp two boys sharing a tent put down rugs & a tarp to avoid splinters in their feet, bugs and dirt inside. An older scout told them it was not allowed because the rugs stuck out when the flaps were closed. The two boys asked the scout why it's not allowed and he replied with because my mom told me. 

Is there a 'rule' or some tent etiquette that states this? It caused quite a controversy since 2 tents were set up this way.

I applaud those 2 scouts for being able to think for themselves!  

What a shame that some older scout feels a need to throw a wet blanket on their creativity just because he never thought of doing something that cool.

Even when I was a scout, we had kids put rugs in their tents. Welcome mats would sometimes appear as would small folding tables, and more. As long as it wasn't offensive or dangerous, it was always allowed (and usually smiled at, approvingly).

Sounds to me like the older scout needs a refresher course in how scouting is supposed to be fun and how leaders are supposed to be servants of the individual scouts, not taskmasters. Just because a scout is older doesn't mean he's necessarily learned to be wiser.

• Upvote 1

The rugs are also a good idea for practical reasons.  Who hasn't had coins or a pocketknife drop between the slats on a tent platform?  A rug can keep that from helping (plus elminate the old splinters in the foot issue).

Not only should rugs not be banned, they should be recommended as one of those "comfort" items that a scout might want to bring (space allowing).

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, karunamom3 said:

because my mom told me

I am imagining this scenaro.  Kid, at home, before camp, in family room and eyeing the throw rug on the floor.  Asks  "Mom, can I take a rug to camp for my tent?"   Mom, eyeing same throw rug (her favorite) and imagining what it would look like after a week of camp says, "No.  Not allowed".

Kid jumps to conclusion and . . . .

• Like 1

1. BSA, PLC and SM ( in extreme cases) make the rules. So, unless MOM is a new acronym I have missed see 2 below.

2. Present mom with a brand new kite kit, let her figure it out***

3. Looking at photo, I see 3 separate rugs, so just pull the rug in 2 inches and problem solved. 

4. The only real reason I can see for a similar rule is if a stiff rug is sticking out 3-4 inches it can give the appearance of a solid step and cause someone to stumble. Simple solution, see 3 above, but no need to remove it.

*** I would never tell a Scout to tell someone to go fly a kite, it’s just my inner frustration coming out about overbearing adult rules.

Looks like a typical summer camp tent setup.  I can only imagine the mom was thinking the old rule with tarps under tents.  A tarp that is exposed beyond the edge of the tent collects water and can draw water under the tent.  IMHO, that does not fit this case.  

Side comment ... guy on the right got a better deal.  Less gap for bugs.  Cot solidly on platform.  Opportunity for middle of the night laugh when his friend on the left falls out of the tent because the cot not solidly on the platform.  

Edited by fred8033