New girls in Scouting

1 hour ago, Ranman328 said:

She is giving this poor kid behind the counter who couldn't be more than 18 or 19 years old a hard time about how it is so unfair that there has to be a female leader at all events if there are any girls in the Pack.  

It boggles my mind that anyone who has a daughter (I have two, both of whom are adults and moms themselves) would object to that requirement.  Peoples’ energies should be put into finding more female leaders, not complaining about it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ian is absolutely right. There is reason girls come to us rather than girl guides, because they are getting something that they are not getting there. This is one of my favourite photos of t

Family scouting is all about the WHOLE FAMILY going on outings and activities together. So that moms and dads can spend more time together with their boys and girls in a scouting setting. --

It boggles my mind that anyone who has a daughter (I have two, both of whom are adults and moms themselves) would object to that requirement.  Peoples’ energies should be put into finding more female

We had plenty of female leaders even without girls in the pack and troop. My only complaint was that one of them couldn't stop herself from calling these young men 'sweetie' or 'honey' or things like that. She sure as heck never graced me with one of those appellations!

Anyway, the person in Ranman328's anecdote is unlikely to affect policy by complaining to a clerk. I suspect those clerks get plenty of venting of all kinds as they peddle their wares. 

14 hours ago, Ranman328 said:

So my wife and I are at the Scout Store Friday buying supplies for our Court of Honor on Tuesday and at the register there is this lady buying a pile of girl Cub Scout uniform items to include leggings.  She is giving this poor kid behind the counter who couldn't be more than 18 or 19 years old a hard time about how it is so unfair that there has to be a female leader at all events if there are any girls in the Pack.  She wants this kid to explain to her why this is fair.  She goes on to tell him that she is going to file a discrimination lawsuit against BSA and that she already has her letter ready.  I look at my wife and she is doing all she can to bite her lip and not go off on this lady.  First off, this lady appears to be new to scouting as she is buying all new uniforms for girls and she is already complaining and threatening lawsuits.  If you are already this turned off by the BSA rules, why are you joining?  I can see now that is all we are going to see is a bunch of lawsuits complaining of discrimination and wanting the rules and requirements changed to suit girls.  Sad times in BSA

Oh it's one thing to say you're going to file a lawsuit and another thing to actually do it.  It might be a lot of hot air in the long run.  I am sure there will be some lawsuits, but I think most folks are big talkers. 

On 10/16/2018 at 12:53 PM, Tired_Eagle_Feathers said:

My wife was so annoyed when she thumbed through the Weblos book and got so excited when she saw the pictures of kids in canoes only to discover that Cub Scouts can't actually use canoes like the Girl Scouts do.  We've gotten to the point where we refer to Cub Scouts as Can't Scouts.

Hold the phone, let's confirm what Cub Scouts can do in boats.  Is this no longer accurate?

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2016/05/05/cub-scouts-swimming-and-boating/

On 10/12/2018 at 9:24 PM, Eagle1993 said:

50,093 girls are now registered 

5,994 Lions;  8,990 Tigers; 19,362 Wolves and Bears; 15,747 Webelos.

Pace slowed a bit this week. I’ll be curious to see more October numbers.  

Latest report is 53139 girls... so only 3000 more in one week.   What I found interesting is that the southern region reported their numbers as 23,089 with Central Florida leading the way with 2,300 girls.  I wonder what is unique in the Southern Region for them to have such a large percentage of total girls.  Any ideas ... yes, I know to be suspicious of any recruiting numbers... but if correct any idea what is going on in the South vs the other regions?

6 hours ago, WisconsinMomma said:

Oh it's one thing to say you're going to file a lawsuit and another thing to actually do it.  It might be a lot of hot air in the long run.  I am sure there will be some lawsuits, but I think most folks are big talkers. 

You are right, "saying" and "doing" are two different things.  Not a very good example to set for her cub scout daughter that was standing right there.  Certainly not in the teachings of the Scout Oath and Scout Law.  Definitely not in the Scout Spirit. 

2 hours ago, Tired_Eagle_Feathers said:

The South, particularly the rural South, is still very "outdoorsy".   My question is, why weren't they (or were they) doing Girl Scouts before?

Oh, they were. But from the sample of two small-town FL GS/USA girls who I know and love, they were doing all of their camping with their cub-scout brothers.

• 4 weeks later...

At my Troop Committee meeting last night, we discussed the inevitable formulation of a girl troop at our church under the "linked" model.  In light of the lawsuit, we kinda figured that if the new troop had a different number than the existing troop, it would simplify what to call them and avoid the inevitable use of the term "girl."  Our Council Exec could not tell me if linked troops could use different numbers or would be forced to use the same number.  Anybody have an answer? 

TK

1 hour ago, TLK said:

..  Our Council Exec could not tell me if linked troops could use different numbers or would be forced to use the same number.  Anybody have an answer? ...

There's now information management hurdle that keeps you from having a different number for each unit in the CO.

I've read on Scouts-L of linked-troops getting different numbers. I can't speak to how easy or hard for your council registrar to make it so for your unit(s).

1 hour ago, Tired_Eagle_Feathers said:

I think the acrobatics the organization is doing to try and not say the word "girl" is preposterous.  You can be a girl Scout and not a Girl Scout.

Great.  Now the capitalization police will be all over us.....