New girls in Scouting

19 minutes ago, TLK said:

That would be kinda clumsy, but I guess it works.  We are all probably gonna end up calling it the "girl troop" anyway...especially the youth.

If it starts with a small number of girls as a single-patrol troop, then you could always call them by their patrol name. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ian is absolutely right. There is reason girls come to us rather than girl guides, because they are getting something that they are not getting there. This is one of my favourite photos of t

Family scouting is all about the WHOLE FAMILY going on outings and activities together. So that moms and dads can spend more time together with their boys and girls in a scouting setting. --

It boggles my mind that anyone who has a daughter (I have two, both of whom are adults and moms themselves) would object to that requirement.  Peoples’ energies should be put into finding more female

By the way,  I think it highly desirable for the girls' troop (at least the one my daughter will be in) to have a different number from the linked boys troop.  One more signal that it isn't simply a girls patrol in a coed troop.

Of course, some linked troops might actually want to be as close to a coed troop as they can get away with --- and those troops probably want to share a troop number.

6 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

By the way,  I think it highly desirable for the girls' troop (at least the one my daughter will be in) to have a different number from the linked boys troop.  One more signal that it isn't simply a girls patrol in a coed troop.

Of course, some linked troops might actually want to be as close to a coed troop as they can get away with --- and those troops probably want to share a troop number.

Time to start a tradition. The girls troop will have the same numbers - only in reverse. Or jumbled in the case of a palindrome. Or completely different for any troop that has multiples of the same number. Or or ....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • 1 month later...

I've been mentoring a new scoutmaster for just over a year. I was her sounding board, reference guide, and friend. Their pack and troop meet on the same night, but different times and classrooms (at a church). She's taken her training and I hope that I've helped her apply it to a real world example, their scout troop.

They're missing three big things: 1) more adult trained leaders, 2) camping every month or so, 3) a patrol with a working patrol leader.

Yep, these things are pretty fundamental to a successful program. I gave it all I got, but it wasn't enough. I've decided now, at the end of this year, is time to step aside and let it go. I am old fashioned when it comes to a successful troop program. All of the current training and reference material still points to the same core program of scouting I remember. But she can't camp because she works weekends. She wants the scouts to advance as in classes all together like they did in cub scouts, and she has them going to all available merit badge weekends and colleges available across the council. Yes, I told her this is not scouting. Camping is scouting. Fellowship is scouting.

Recruitment's not a problem. These scouts have friends, and there's always a big group of AOL scouts graduating each year. Good or bad, this current AOL den has two girls in it (I know that's not right, but they lack adult leadership), but the scoutmaster informed me that she wants to keep this current troop for boys only. I told her that is her choice, as these girls would have to start their own scout troop. What I don't think has happened yet, is someone to explain to these two girls that they won't be graduating into the pack's associated troop. Someone needs to let them know where the nearest girl's scout troop is.

Anyway, I think too much and I care too much. I'm letting it go...………………………………………………………...

sst3rd

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, sst3rd said:

... I am old fashioned when it comes to a successful troop program. All of the current training and reference material still points to the same core program of scouting I remember. But she can't camp because she works weekends. She wants the scouts to advance as in classes all together like they did in cub scouts, and she has them going to all available merit badge weekends and colleges available across the council. Yes, I told her this is not scouting. Camping is scouting. Fellowship is scouting.  ...

How Trail Life USA is growing: BSA SMs who are failing -- nay, refusing -- to deliver on the promise of scouting.

It's a tragedy for the leader as well. Scouting works on us. But we have to let it. That means telling your employer that you are responsible for scouts and need a weekend off. It could mean not making the $ you think you need, and other sacrifices to reap smiles.

@sst3rd, if you've met these two girls and they and their parents are gun ho, move heaven and earth to make it happen for them. I can think of no better reward for you than their "thank-you" years from now.

• Like 2