Sign in to follow this  
walk in the woods

National Leadership, Surbaugh Leave of Absense

Front the Commissioners Facebook page:

Dear Scout Executives, 

Over the past year, leadership of the national organization has been working tirelessly 
to empower our volunteers and staff to focus on delivering the mission of Scouting to 
more than two million young people, while also addressing our organization’s financial 
challenges. The work that each of us puts into this movement is vital, but to do our best 
on behalf of the Boy Scouts of America, we each must also look out for our own 
personal health. 

Today, I am reaching out to let you know that Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh 
is taking a medical leave of absence to focus on challenges that require his total 
attention. Although I know your support is immensely appreciated, I ask that you respect 
his privacy and remain focused on our mission of delivering a great Scouting program to 
youth and families in our communities. We wish him a full recovery. 

Given that this comes at an important time for our organization, National Chair-Elect 
Dan Ownby and I will be personally supporting the national professional leadership 
team. Within the next several weeks, the National Executive Committee will identify an 
interim leader for the national organization. 

Whether you come to the movement as an employee, a volunteer, a parent or a Scout, 
you quickly realize that we are all one Scouting family. As we look back on a year of 
exceptional milestones, from welcoming both boys and girls into Scouts BSA, to the 
once-in-a-lifetime experience of the World Scout Jamboree, this is a time for all of us to 
support each other, the organization and the movement. Scouting plays a vital role in 
our communities and in the lives of so many young people. 

Thank you for your support and all you do for Scouting. 

Yours in Scouting, 
Jim Turley 

----- 
James S. Turley 
National Chair | Boy Scouts of America

Edited by RememberSchiff
merged
  • Sad 1

Sad News. The last few years definitely took it's toll on Mike. 

Edited by RememberSchiff
merged with previous discussion

Saw this yesterday on several of the Commissioner FB pages I am a member of; I can only hope that whatever the issue is, it has a favorable conclusion.