Will your scout wear a uniform to school on Oct 16?

BSA is asking scouts to wear their scout uniform to school tomorrow (October 16) in an effort to stand up to bullying by showing other students that they have a friend in their midst.

What do you think?  Is this effective?  Will scouts and parents buy in and participate?

image.png.513dc08764584089af0960c090755011.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah! An Oklahoma fan. Well said. Barry

Nobody will, especially because nobody has heard about this. Of course, few people have heard of scout me in. Just to totally change this thread, how is advertising money spent in the BSA? I neve

While the idea would at one time likely been helpful, today, as someone else pointed out, would likely just draw the bullies to the scout.  And we do not need more reasons for boys to shy away from th

Posted Images

I think it depends on the community's support for scouting.  Even in pro-scouting communities, I don't predict much participation.  I hope I'm wrong.  I think the initiative has great intent.  But kids quit wearing their uniforms to school back in the early '70s. 

The other dynamic about bullying is the lack of teacher and administrator support for prevention.   And lack of suitable, behavior-changing consequences for bullying.  Yes, it seems odd, but I found that many teachers and principals turn a blind eye to bullying.  Prevention receives all of the right words, but in actual practice, bullying was pervasive in the school where I taught.  Many teachers ignored it either because they didn't want to deal with it, or they knew from past experience that even if they dealt with it or elevated it to the principals, it would all be swept under the carpet.  Or the consequences were so light, it didn't change behavior.  Bullies know their environment, and there are few punishments administered in schools today that encourage them to change their ways.

Edited by desertrat77

Nobody will, especially because nobody has heard about this. Of course, few people have heard of scout me in.

Just to totally change this thread, how is advertising money spent in the BSA? I never see any ads from the BSA on anything. Does each council have to pay for ads or does national?

• Thanks 1

Speaking from my own experience, wearing a scout uniform to school is much more effective at attracting bullies than it is at preventing bullying. When I read this email announcement, the cynic in me whispered that this is just a marketing ploy wrapped up in virtue signalling.

Just curious how this was marketed?  I literally get every e-mail possible it seems from the District, Council, etc.  Nothing from Council on this and nothing it seems on the Council Website or Social Media

Is Anti-Bullying one the 8 sorry...now apparently myriad aims of Scouting?

3 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Just curious how this was marketed?  I literally get every e-mail possible it seems from the District, Council, etc.  Nothing from Council on this and nothing it seems on the Council Website or Social Media

Scouting Wire email with a link to here: https://scoutingwire.org/call-to-action-for-scouts-to-help-take-on-bullying-during-national-bullying-prevention-month/

Edited by Saltface
34 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

I both got an e-mail from Scouting Wire and saw it on multiple Scout related Facebook pages.

While the idea would at one time likely been helpful, today, as someone else pointed out, would likely just draw the bullies to the scout.  And we do not need more reasons for boys to shy away from the program.  It is different when they are in public together or with adults, but in the school, it might be really difficult for many.  Reflecting on the truth in society in this country.  

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, desertrat77 said:

I think it depends on the community's support for scouting.  Even in pro-scouting communities, I don't predict much participation.  I hope I'm wrong.  I think the initiative has great intent.  But kids quit wearing their uniforms to school back in the early '70s. 

1 hour ago, Saltface said:

Speaking from my own experience, wearing a scout uniform to school is much more effective at attracting bullies than it is at preventing bullying. When I read this email announcement, the cynic in me whispered that this is just a marketing ploy wrapped up in virtue signalling.

28 minutes ago, skeptic said:

While the idea would at one time likely been helpful, today, as someone else pointed out, would likely just draw the bullies to the scout.  And we do not need more reasons for boys to shy away from the program.  It is different when they are in public together or with adults, but in the school, it might be really difficult for many.  Reflecting on the truth in society in this country.  

National needs to fix the Scouting image problem before this will be doable.  I predict at most 0.1% participation.

30 minutes ago, skeptic said:

While the idea would at one time likely been helpful, today, as someone else pointed out, would likely just draw the bullies to the scout.  ...

Well, give the scout unit applications to hand out. Got bullies? We got bear country!

A great opportunity to work the 4th and 10th points of the law at the same time.

Doesn't matter, our troop didn't meet this week so getting the word out is a non-starter.

In general, BSA's fad-chasing doesn't impress me. I wore my uniform to school Feb. 8th. That's timing that I can get behind.

With all of the District, Council & National emails that I get, I have not gotten one about this.  I'm not on FB, or any other traditional social media, so if that's where it's advertised, I won't see it. We had our Troop meeting tonight and nothing was mentioned at all about it.