Scoutmaster Teddy

Order of the Arrow for Females?

Well, now it's late April.   We know now the girls youth program will be the same as the boys program, and that troops may be chartered as concurrent committee or two separate committees by the chartered partner. 

Do we have any updates on where the Order will go?

My one thought is "separate but equal" in the honor camping organization will see National fighting in the court of public opinion on a Title IX lawsuit. It may get thrown out of federal court, but it'll be a publicity struggle, and we all know how BSA has performed in recent court of public opinion battles. 

Now, if the suit is against a local council in a state court...and it's the right state...KATEY Bar the Door. 

ICS. 

1 hour ago, John-in-KC said:

My one thought is "separate but equal" in the honor camping organization will see National fighting in the court of public opinion on a Title IX lawsuit

Title IX doesn't require things be coed or even equal, it only requires entities that receive federal financial assistance not discriminate on the basis of gender. Schools easily accomplish that requirement while still having a boy's only football team and a girls softball team, for example. I don't see how a person would even begin to have any standing to file a case under Title IX.

I heard it from the current national chief during a Q&A session that girls will be allowed into the OA. There was no hesitation in his response.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I see this as a non-issue. There are women adults who are in OA (at least in my lodge and section) and now that females will become Boy Scouts I do not see how they can "bar" them. So many OA "old hands" are District and Council officials and ex-officials I do not see then bucking National. The rest (adult oversight, sleeping and bathroom accommodations) is just YPT logistics. 

I totally agree with @Tampa Turtle.  It will be relatively simple to incorporate young ladies into the Order.  Most likely every Lodge has adult female Brotherhood and Virgil members who can provide oversight. There is nothing really daunting about the Ordeal that a girl can't handle. If she has met the requirement to be elected, she has all the skills and experience to go through the same Ordeal as the boys.  The integration of girls into the ceremonies and functions of the Order of the Arrow, Mic-O-Say, or any other Scouting auxiliary thing is just a case of a few adjustments, logistic considerations, and the direct involvement of adult female leaders keeping an eye on things.  Since, for the most part, the operations of these types of things rest in the hands of gifted youth and adult volunteers, I anticipate fine results. 

Summer 2020 will be the end of an era, which is kinda sad.

Talked about this at a council-level meeting this morning. Interesting observation: of all the professionals and volunteers with a “what’s the big deal? Get over it attitude” , none of them were Arrowmen as youth. So basically, they cannot relate

14 hours ago, an_old_DC said:

Summer 2020 will be the end of an era, which is kinda sad.

Talked about this at a council-level meeting this morning. Interesting observation: of all the professionals and volunteers with a “what’s the big deal? Get over it attitude” , none of them were Arrowmen as youth. So basically, they cannot relate

As an Arrowman who did Ordeal, Brotherhood, and Vigil all as a youth member, I will admit it took a little while to get used to the idea of female Scoutmasters and female OA members.  I do not see the potential for girls to be eligible for election to be sad, but simply a natural evolution of bringing young ladies into the broader Scouting family.