It is a reference to a PG movie from a few years back. I am just surprised no mom got offended with the phrase. They seem oversensitive about the women helping at camp.

For what it's worth, we had some Washington Redskins help out at camp one year. They wore their gear and logos, not scout gear. No one complained as far as I am aware.

Double standard because of a perceived sexual nature of something? Surely not!  ;)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go for it. I think the more society mixes, the more tolerant it becomes.   Back in the 80s, in the UK, I was in scouts, we had a weekend camp for our troop at a small campsite owned by the municipal

I see no issues with it.  They were decently dressed and appropriate.  This is a non-issue.

Gosh! Seems to have kicked off a bit!     I'm sorry you've chosen to take that interpretation. I'm a fellow scout, you are my brother*, rest assured I meant no offence. Having moral values, and tr

Posted Images

I still would not be that offended. BTW Hooters started nearby...I use to drive by their original restaurant in Clearwater on the way to work. Even my wife the bible study children's leader said it was no big deal BUT that Hooters should expect some criticism because if they objectify women (and spawn all sorts of places with stupid names like Mugs N' Jugs, etc) some women who are mom's are gonna get offended. 

The Hooters Calendar post was the most exciting thing to happen to Scouter in a long time. NSFW though...

BTW years ago she forbade me from wasting money in Hooters as she thought the outfits were stupid. Said if I was gonna waste money to look at girls I might as well as go to a strip club...it was a better value. (Then she forbade me that)

• Upvote 1

Its a quote from the movie "The Sandlot" (1993, PG), and I don't see the issue with it...  its not a reference to Biggy Smalls, from Notorious B.I.G., if that's what someone was thinking.

I remember the movie, I have watched it on tv a couple of times. That quote did not stick with me though. But through the magic of Google, I see it has become a "thing" on the Internet, and you obviously can get a t-shirt of it. My kids wear trendy t-shirts too, but theirs seem to run to Dr. Who, Star Trek/Wars and some video gaming stuff. So I didn't get the Sandlot reference, but when my son wears a t-shirt saying "Look at me still talking when there's science to do", I do know what that's from.

While we no longer have Hell's Angels in our area we still do have cycle clubs.  They dress the leather, they're older guys, but the one I'm most familiar with are the recovering alcoholic, Christian, Veteran bikers.  Nice bunch of guys, but if you came across them in a dark alley some night it would spike your blood pressure.

Never judge a book by it's cover and I guess that would apply to the Hooter's women as well.

• Upvote 1

Snowflake?

It is a common tactic of people who do not share my CO's religion and moral values to paint my scouts as being weaker or less masculine.  

I don't believe for one minute that good moral values make a scout into a wimp.

Stosh, you are perfectly aware of the fact that calling someone a "snowflake" is derogatory.  It implies that the person is weak and fragile.

No boy wants to be called a "snowflake."

We teach our kids in Religion and Health classes to expect this sort of thing from time to time.  They're ready for it.

They are ready for it, but they still don't like it.  Neither do I.

Edited by David CO

David CO, you are perfectly aware of the fact that calling someone anything can be taken as derogatory. It implies the person saying things either is mean, doesn't care, or is ignorant and has nothing to do with the person being spoken about.

I think it was First Grade, maybe on the playground, where I learned "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but nobody's words can hurt me."  It kinda stuck with me.  Made my life a lot easier in the long run, too.  I started high school at 4' 11" 97#.  I know the "power" of words.  They mean nothing unless they are true.  It's only when people believe in the derogatory word does it have any affect.  Until then it means nothing.

Like I said, get enough snowflakes together and one has the making of a great blizzard.  If one is ever caught in a blizzard, they will fully understand that snowflakes are not to be taken lightly.

Of course not, but I did learn that the more one ignores the bully, the less mileage they get out of their activity. 

:)  Thus the reason for my signature.

Regardless of how you feel about the girls, the restaurant or their work at the camp, the BSA muddied its logo and therefore its values by being directly involved with Hooters.

OK this is just an unremarkably dumb statement to make considering they already muddied their logo by letting gays in.  JMHO morally straight went out the window LONG ago.

• Upvote 2

OK this is just an unremarkably dumb statement to make considering they already muddied their logo by letting gays in.  JMHO morally straight went out the window LONG ago.

Well, agree or disagree with the membership decisions, I thought the BSA made some remarkably clear statements during the process.  Here are a few from http://www.scouting.org/MembershipStandards/Resolution/FAQ.aspx:

The Boy Scouts of America respects the deeply held religious, moral, and ethical beliefs of everyone within the Scouting family

Some have asserted that this proposal will unduly interject sexuality into the BSA and take away parents' rights to discuss sexuality at the time and place of their choosing. The BSA believes parents should decide if, when, and how to discuss matters of sexuality with their kids.

It's not clear to me these principles were applied by the Denver Council in this particular case.

I am new here so forgive my naivety, but how does 2-3 young women dressed in normal shorts, shirts and jackets take away a parent's ability to talk about sex with their son? There was nothing sexually suggestive about what the women wore so the topic of sex should not even come up, should it? But you definitely end up having discussions about sex after allowing gays in to scouting. Any boy that didn't know about gays at that point certainly had that conversation after BSA made the change in membership. I guess I don't understand what all the chatter is about.