Stosh, "snowflake"seems unscoutlike.

Reflective of the person speaking.... What's that have to do with the person being accused?  Nothing......  Consider the source, take the high road, ignore them and move on.  It's not worth getting down on their level.  How is calling someone "unscoutlike" any different than calling them "snowflake".  :)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go for it. I think the more society mixes, the more tolerant it becomes.   Back in the 80s, in the UK, I was in scouts, we had a weekend camp for our troop at a small campsite owned by the municipal

I see no issues with it.  They were decently dressed and appropriate.  This is a non-issue.

Gosh! Seems to have kicked off a bit!     I'm sorry you've chosen to take that interpretation. I'm a fellow scout, you are my brother*, rest assured I meant no offence. Having moral values, and tr

Posted Images

OK this is just an unremarkably dumb statement to make considering they already muddied their logo by letting gays in.  JMHO morally straight went out the window LONG ago.

On the national level, I agree that morally straight has gone straight out the window.

On a more local level, many of us have been able to retain our moral values.  My unit is morally straight.  We intend to keep it that way.

On the council/district level, it has to be determined on a case by case basis.  Some events are good.  Some are very bad.

OK this is just an unremarkably dumb statement to make considering they already muddied their logo by letting gays in.  JMHO morally straight went out the window LONG ago.

It always seems to come back to that, doesn't it? This is not the first time in this thread that someone has made an analogy between this issue and the termination of the policy requiring local units to exclude gay people, and the analogy is a bad one every time.  Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but mine is that the BSA is, all other things being equal, now a more "morally straight" place now that it doesn't force a Cub pack to tell Johnny's mom she can't be a den mother just because her life partner (or now, her legally married spouse) happens to be female.

Now let's get back to Hooters - about which the only real conclusion that I can draw is that corporate logos should not be worn when working with youth.  Hmmm, we have an ASM who sometimes has to come to meetings straight from work and he has on his shirt with the logo of the large retail chain he works for (rhymes with Beers but they don't sell that there).  Is that against the rules now?  It might make one of the kids want to run out and buy a washing machine... 

Edited by NJCubScouter

All it needs is a few parents that make a song and dance worrying about everything that happens to their special snowflake, and here we are.

Ok, here we have the term "special snowflake", as it was first used in this thread, which has caused this recent discussion of the term "snowflake."  Notice that Ian did not call any youth, or category of youth, a "snowflake" - at least not how I interpreted it.  I thought he was referring to the attitude of certain PARENTS who believe that their son is a "special snowflake" - in other words, overprotective parents who micromanage their sons' childhood, because they think their son is so fragile and that if he comes into contact with a situation that is too "hot", he will melt.  Hence, snowflake.  People have been using that term in this forum, almost always in THAT way, for many years.  I am not sure where the "special" part came from - maybe it's just for emphasis.  (Now that I think about it, I have also seen references to certain parents being overprotective of their "fragile flower", which is the same idea, so maybe it is a question of alliteration.)

This does, however, remind me of a person who used to post in this forum a lot, who would call a certain kind of Scout "cupcakes."  That is different, because there the Scouter was clearly and directly insulting certain Scouts.  As in "cupcakes who make Eagle without ever walking into the woods with a pack on their back."  I believe that is an almost exact quote.  I do not mention the name because he apparently is not around to defend himself, but back when he was, I remember that I responded to a couple of his uses of "cupcakes" by saying, "So, ____, what other names do you call the Scouts behind their backs?"

I do not necessarily think we are dealing with exactly the same situation here, when "special snowflake" is being used to describe the PARENTS' attitude.  On the other hand, if a phrase can be interpreted as to be insulting to a Scout, or a group of Scouts, why even take the chance?  That is not what we are here for. 

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1

I thought he was referring to the attitude of certain PARENTS who believe that their son is a "special snowflake" - in other words, overprotective parents who micromanage their sons' childhood, because if the boy comes into contact with a situation that is too "hot", he will melt.  Hence, snowflake.  People have been using that term in this forum, almost always in THAT way, for many years.  I am not sure where the "special" part came from - maybe it's just for emphasis.

+1

I was trying to frame my thoughts to make a post along these lines, but you posted this and it's spot on.

The only person who can definitively say how the term 'snowflake' was intended is @@ianwilkins.

@@NJCubScouter since I haven't been a part of this forum long enough to know that the term has been used "almost always in THAT way, for many years" I have no reason to interpret it as such.

I can only go on what I know from personal experience, which in this case is zilch. Since I've never called or heard anyone call another person a 'snowflake' I don't think of the term in the negative. And no, I don't live in a desert where they're never seen.  :) Thus my comment earlier about how I interpreted it's usage.

It's always interesting how we can see a different meaning behind a simple word.

Unless @@ianwilkins tells me differently, my interpretation is correct. For me. 

Snowflakes are beautiful, unique, and one-of-a-kind. Like our Scouts.

Edited by Chadamus

I thought he was referring to the attitude of certain PARENTS who believe that their son is a "special snowflake"

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement..."

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement..."[/size]

At this hour, after dealing with words for a living all day, I'm not even going to try to figure out what you are saying here. It seems to be some sort of joke.

David CO, I interpreted that as meaning 'unique' or 'one-of-a-kind.'

I though his "song and dance" remark indicated that the entire sentence was intended to be a slam, including the "snowflake" name calling.

I disagree with you, but I really like your positive attitude.