@@Stosh, we're talking about anatomical parts here ...

They're also making money to feed themselves and their families, or maybe working their way through higher education.  When the boss says, go play with the Cub Scouts, one goes and plays with the Cub Scouts.  It's part of being a team player on the job.

Let's not elevate these particular waitresses above women who do not use their breasts in the service of someone's fertility goddess. I have friends who are actresses and models who constantly pass on gigs that they could rightfully own because their bodies would be used to fashion a dishonorable image.

So, I'll give respect to those who would regard such workers as base. Likewise, I'll always give due regard to those who would never cross the threshold of our family's beer distributor. (We just dropped the cases at the back door, accepting a tip for delivery.)

What I would not countenance, were I the SE, is the high-and-mighty appropriating the BSA as the "stone" that should be thrown at businesses who volunteer their time and talent. A Samaritan is disreputable on a good day, but the Good Book makes quite clear that Almighty honors them by their name when they do His good work.

We don't have to like it. We do have to say "thank you" and imitate their good behavior when they outshine us.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go for it. I think the more society mixes, the more tolerant it becomes.   Back in the 80s, in the UK, I was in scouts, we had a weekend camp for our troop at a small campsite owned by the municipal

I see no issues with it.  They were decently dressed and appropriate.  This is a non-issue.

Gosh! Seems to have kicked off a bit!     I'm sorry you've chosen to take that interpretation. I'm a fellow scout, you are my brother*, rest assured I meant no offence. Having moral values, and tr

Posted Images

A) High school cheerleaders, Pom Pom Squads

B) Beauty Padeants

C) Vollyball tournaments

D) Madison Avenue sales of just about anything

E) TV show characters

F) Newscaster personality

G) Hollywood Red Carpets

H) 95% of the ads on the Internet

I) Video games

J) Hooters waitresses

K) Movies

L) Bolero and Bo

M) Bay Watch

N) All of the above

These are the answers, so here's the question:  Which best describes the American social culture of denigrating women under the guise of sexuality?

Edited by Stosh

Playing cards and dancing is immoral too.

"From the oldest of times, people danced for a number of reasons. They danced in prayer... or so that their crops would be plentiful... or so their hunt would be good. And they danced to stay physically fit... and show their community spirit. And they danced to celebrate." And that is the dancing we're talking about. Aren't we told in Psalm 149 "Praise ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song. Let them praise His name in the dance"? And it was King David - King David, who we read about in Samuel - and what did David do?

"What did David do? 

"David danced before the Lord with all his might... leaping and dancing before the Lord.

"'Leaping' and 'dancing.'"

---Ren McCormack 

:)

• Upvote 1

Not according to my Methodist grandparents....  :) 

The point being, what is immoral to one is not to the next guy, thus the whole LGBT issue with BSA and the Scout Oath.  Obviously the Bible, the Torah, and the Koran all say different things, just like my grandparents.

• Upvote 1

Not according to my Methodist grandparents....  :)

The point being, what is immoral to one is not to the next guy, thus the whole LGBT issue with BSA and the Scout Oath.  Obviously the Bible, the Torah, and the Koran all say different things, just like my grandparents.

@@Stosh, let's not be baited by relativism. It's a pointless exercise. (Except to note, regarding the first item on your list in reply #74, that Steeler fans keep their beauties in the stands with them, not in cheer-leading squads. :wub: )

Just because a boundary is in your "book" and not mine does not mean that I should disregard the boundary. It is healthier for all involved to accept the premise that certain persons' occupations may be found to be morally lacking.

Start from there, and you can respect a mothers' disdain while proudly recognizing someone being a good neighbor and challenging others to step up their game to "go and do likewise."

better not take these scouts out onto the highway anymore....

I just saw a trucker yesterday, with a sign on the back of his trailer "Show Me Your Hooters"

don't want to be gettin' any unwholesome thoughts on the way to summer camp now.....

@@qwazse  The sarcasm was meant to point out the total hypocrisy of the situation. 

Yet seriously, somewhere in the literature it also talks about judge not, lest ye be judged.  Who's to say that instead of demonizing these women or the situation these women find themselves in, one could also possibly help some of these young gals see what benefit there is to doing something good for young boys, having fun with potentially what could be their children some day, and that life can be different than the present track they are on.  The judgmentalism of the parent that complained only emphasized her need to make a scene in front of the world.  Well, while she's judging others, others are judging her. 

@@blw2, one also has to be careful of the Playboy mudflaps on those trucks, too. 

Several years ago, my daughter's Girl Scout Troop took the train to NYC, and spent a few hours with the dancers of "Chicago" on Broadway during a rehearsal.   As part of "Thanks for Surviving the Cookie Sales Death March" plan.

I was deployed at the time, and my wife sent me some photos.

How can I say this?   My daughter and several of her pals, about age 10, were watching the chorus girls go through their routine backstage.  Chorus girls wearing their very fetching dancing togs.   Dancing in a very confident, joyful manner.   And clearly not ashamed of their bodies (nor should they have been).

By comparison, the Hooters girls are positively dowdy.

The GSA must have thought it was an interesting and empowering trip for the girls to visit with the dancers.    And I had no problem with it then, or now.

Now part of society wants to paint the Hooters girls as women of ill repute, and "how could we expose our impressionable young Cubs to such women?"

Would the anti-Hooters folks feel the same way about their daughters watching and talking to half-clad Broadway dancers?   Or does "art" get a free pass?

I guess I don't see the problem with this either.  Maybe it's because I grew up in Wisconsin, and it seems like every non-chain restaurant, bowling alley, VFW, etc. has a sign supplied by a beer vendor.  I've seen plenty of fairs and festivals with banners supplied by beer vendors as well.  It's so prevalent around here that I think the sign that I would notice would be the one without Budweiser, Miller, or another beer vendor's logo on it.

With that said, I'm living proof that the signs and logos aren't the reason people become alcoholics.  For the most part, I don't drink.  Maybe 1-2 adult beverages if I'm on a weekend campout with the family (and that's on maybe 20% of my campouts at most), but that's about it.  I rarely have alcohol in the home and don't order it when I'm out.

A logo is just a logo, not a trap set to corrupt the righteous.

I disagree, a logo represents a company and carries the values espoused by said company.  That's why companies have them.  They want you to see the graphic and immediately recognize their business and their values.  When one organization puts their own logo on a par with another organization there is an implicit acceptance of the other.  This is why sporting goods vendors leave athletes that get in legal or other trouble.  They don't want their company brand associated with the behavior of said athlete.  What you do and don't drink, when or why, is immaterial to the debate.   

better not take these scouts out onto the highway anymore....

I just saw a trucker yesterday, with a sign on the back of his trailer "Show Me Your Hooters"

don't want to be gettin' any unwholesome thoughts on the way to summer camp now.....

What a trucker puts on his or her truck is immaterial to what organizations the BSA associates with directly.

Regardless of how you feel about the girls, the restaurant or their work at the camp, the BSA muddied its logo and therefore its values by being directly involved with Hooters.

Would the anti-Hooters folks feel the same way about their daughters watching and talking to half-clad Broadway dancers?   Or does "art" get a free pass?

Apples and Oranges from my perspective.  Hooters uses sexuality as the primary tool for selling food and beverages.  At least my personal experience with theater is for the most part they use sexuality as part of the story telling.  In addition, watching and talking to the dancers on stage is different than inviting them staff camp. And, your daughters troop wasn't representative of the overall brand.