Camping & High Adventure

Sign in to follow this  

Share a camping tip.

Subforums

1. Equipment Reviews & Discussions

Discussions dealing with equipment topics (tents, lights, packs, boots, stoves, etc.)

Tales of Scout cooks, prized techniques and yummy recipes for gathering around the fire.

1730 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  1. Fire by friction

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  2. Raccoon COPE

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
Sign in to follow this  
  • LATEST POSTS

• I'm not at all against ScoutBook.  I used BSA online advancement for years, and ScoutBook is a good replacement.  I'm glad adult leaders can use ScoutBook to directly enter into BSA's official records.  I'm glad parents to can see reports from it. I use the Individual Advancement Report all the time.   I am against my son using it as a regular tool for his advancement.  I want his experience to be a face-to-face, social interaction.  Learning how to interact and accomplish goals when dealing with people and their quirks.   ScoutBook has turned out fine for adult leaders and parents.  I question it's use with the scouts though.  With them, I'd strongly encourage the book and paper and a pencil and a pen.
    • Those stories are great. I saw one about a guy that completed eagle and then promptly went off to WWII. Something like 10 years ago he finally received his medal. I've told a few scouts these stories because they think there's a time limit on that because they mostly have been fighting with time limits to get everything done in time.
    • We purchased a 13th edition Boy Scout Handbook at our camp this fall.  They were selling them for $5.00    That is what my daughter will be using on February 1st. ccjj
    • Found this story out there from Daniel Webster council.  Shows you are never too late. https://www.wmur.com/article/former-police-officer-becomes-eagle-scout-35-years-after-completing-project/25851789
    • I will encourage you to keep up the push for your course.  As I stated in my post, our council had adults who saw the importance of gun education in the 70s and proved that it could be a great benefit to the youth if we'll done.  It was only at my first National Camping School in the early 80s that I saw National bring out the first demo of a gun range and how to teach it to the youth.  At the same school one of the school instructors 👍pulled me to the side after the demo and asked me how our leaders were doing with the program.  Based on what I saw they had used our successful program to teach others.   There always has to be one to lead the way. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)