Depends whether the Scout(s) lose tools often.  If they can keep tools and not lose one every campout, Target has the Gerber Gear Suspension Multi-tool for about $29.    That would get them from Scout to Eagle without a problem.  

If they lose a knife or tool every campout, stick with the cheap Ozark Trail multi-tool for under $8.  If you need this tool as a starter for Scouts, it won't break the bank.

When I teach whittlin chip to Bears, I like to buy Dollar Tree swiss army knives for them to take home.  Victorinox are the next step.  I also have to help Cub parents to not buy knives over $20 as the 3 things Scouts do with knives: 1. Sharpen them.  2.  Cut themselves.  3.  Lose the first knife.

After decades of experience in Scouting and in the military, and many years of observing Scouts in the woods, recommend you go with nothing more than the tools on a Victorinox Tinker.  They are about $32.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Tinker-Red-Swiss-Pocket/dp/B002J94KFG

Or any knock-off of it would be cheaper...

And please do not get anything with a saw on it, like the Victorinox Hiker, even though you can get "more for less"...

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Hiker-Size/dp/B0001P151M

Some of the nastiest wounds I have seen on hands are from Scouts trying to use these tiny saws.  

Have a bowsaw and a cheap pair of needle nose pliers in your Troop tool box... 

When they take up backpacking, they'll appreciate this advice even more 😜 

P.S.  A good pair of trauma shears should be the "scissors" in your personal first aid kit.  Tiny scissors do not "cut it" (pun intended).  Tiny scissors are OK for cutting moleskin or a piece of gauze, but when you need to open or remove clothing for CPR/AED or to assess a wound, you're gonna hate the decision to bring tiny scissors.

I differentiate multi-tool from Swiss Army knife.  The tools you posted look to be too cheap to be effective.  Since we are talking about a troop, I'm assuming they are a bit more responsible than Cubbies.  The multi-tool I use is either a Gerber or a Leatherman.  Neither are cheap now.  Our troop favorite in the early 90s was the Leatherman.  For a Swiss Army knife, I prefer one the Hunter.  I personally like the scissors - I used them to cut my nails for a decade because I kept losing the nail clippers or just didn't have them.  Mine has been with me from my days of stalking Gilwell through my days of stalking Mosul, to today.  When my kids reach high school, I'll probably get them one.  I don't think that a combination knife, hammer, hatchet, etc is a good idea.  The hollow handled is probably prone to breakage and disappointment.  

Ask 10 different Scouters their opinion on knives/tools, and you'll get 20 different opinions 😜

I would differ from @Armymutt on the Hunter,  it has the saw (see my post above), a corkscrew (which Scouts don't really need), and a "gutting blade" (again, not an activity we normally do in Scouting 😜 )

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Large-Pocket-Knives/Hunter/p/0.8573

In over 40+ years, I can easily count the number of times I have seen a Scout use the corkscrew... zero.

Mostly I remember them asking "what is this for?" as they whip out the most unused extensions on their pocketknife, corkscrew included.

And what, pray tell, have you carried with a corkscrew?  LOL

21 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

In over 40+ years, I can easily count the number of times I have seen a Scout use the corkscrew... zero.

Mostly I remember them asking "what is this for?" as they whip out the most unused extensions on their pocketknife, corkscrew included.

Actually, in a few instance, the tool allowed removing something embedded in wood or a hard surface.  But generally just use if for my hidden wine, or maybe some good olive oil.🙃

Ditto what others have said. If these gifts are for individuals... a basic pocket (aka Swiss Army) knife or another lightweight simple camping gear gift.

The multi-tool hatchet is usually worthless for chopping and possibly dangerous due to poor grips.  Note the MultiTac dangerously exposes the user's lower arm to the hatchet blade when using the knife.  And... I pound tents pegs with a rock before carrying the weight of a multi-tool hammer.

Whatever you get... avoid knife blades over 3"... many Units, Camps, Municipalities, etc have rules about long blades.

A slightly different tack, but have you considered an artisan bush knife? After our first standard-issue scout knives, some of us were gifted hand-made artisan bush knives by our parents. It felt like an acknowledgement of that we had grown as scouts and people, since they clearly were a bigger loss to lose and often much more beautiful than the basic knives. And often didn't have a guard.

On 10/20/2023 at 11:57 AM, InquisitiveScouter said:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

For scout's personal use, I would recommend anything with a folding blade. I remember the old Swiss Army Tinker knife when I was a kid. Enough tools to be useful. Not too many to be a distraction. For a gift, it even comes in a cool BSA design: https://www.scoutshop.org/swiss-army-with-universal-emblem-tinker-multi-tool-pocket-knife-3-blade-618438.html

Currently my personal favorite is the Leatherman Rev. It's a little smaller than the full-size Leatherman, comfortable for growing scouts. Sturdy and a good tool selection. https://www.leatherman.com/rev-832127.html

I don't want scouts carrying a hammer or hatchet in their personal gear. It's too big and bulky. We have tools, saws and axes to be retrieved from the troop trailer when they're needed.

• Upvote 1