• 3 replies
  2. Online Training

• 1 reply
    • 52 replies
    • 40 replies
    • 39 replies
  3. Win All You Can

• 200 replies

• I got the impression from the OP that this might be the kind of event where the Scouts did not know who the counselors would be in advance.  They show up and there is a counselor there.  Is that the case @fred johnson?  If that is true, then the Scouts would not have the opportunity to do the research and "select" the counselor.  Of course, one could argue that a MB event that is set up that way should be avoided.
    • Hi all. I need to pick your collective brains. We held our OA elections last night. Six Scouts were eligible. There were 23-24 Scouts present and 11 votes were needed for a Scout to be elected. One Scout received eight votes and therefore will not be tapped out. The Scoutmasters feel this one Scout is not only the most qualified out of the group, but also the most deserving due to his selflessness, unwavering commitment to serve, dependability, and Scout skills. He is the one Scout that would not do a "sash and dash." In past elections, it appears that a SM had the discretion to put a worthy Scout forward. Is this still the case? The OA election team indicated that this is no longer so, but failed to provide the source. If this is fact, so be it and the Scout will be placed on next year's ballot and we will use this year as a learning tool. However, we would like to know where this is stated. Thank you for any assistance that you can provide.
    • I would agree! The current UK structure works because it broadly reflects typical peer groups here, particularly the scouts/explorers distinction. What we call secondary school is aged 11-18 and at most schools there is an element of separation between those in years 7, 8 and 9 (11-14) and those in years 10-13 (14-18) and despite being in the same school with the same teachers they are often referred to as the lower and upper school. Typically school sports teams tend to have year group based teams for years 7-9 with those in year 10 upwards competing for places in the over all school teams. When scouting was going down hill here the age ranges were not reflecting typical peer groups and that was where things went wrong. If BSA is going to shuffle its age ranges around they need to reflect American peer groups and not British ones.
    • Be careful here, and check the Guide to Advancement 2017.... page 20 "Boys who join Cub Scouting for the first time as a
      member of an Arrow of Light den, or boys who were
      previously members of a Webelos den but did not
      earn the Webelos rank, shall work on Arrow of Light
      requirements during their fifth-grade year. They can
      earn the Arrow of Light Award without earning the
      Webelos rank."      
    • When I say walk out... it's usually during a break or done politely.  they've only done it a few times now.   As for selection, they don't always get to choose.  Sometimes it's a direct choice.  Other times they are at summer camp or a merit badge fair.  In those events, it's a throw of the dice if you are working with a good MBC.  I've found too often people organize events to offer multiple merit badges, but then market some badges only to find they lack quality MBCs.
  • Who's Online (See full list)