Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9612 topics in this forum

1. A Scout is Clean...

• 8 replies
    • 1.4k views
  2. Pat on back

• 7 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1.5k views
  3. Pocket flags

• 3 replies
    • 1.2k views
  4. Others?

• 4 replies
  5. 50th Anniversary

• 4 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 18 replies
    • 2.4k views
  6. Inner City Troops

• 3 replies
    • 1 reply
  7. jamboree staff

• 0 replies
  8. Asst SM Requirements

• 5 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 44 replies
    • 3.6k views
    • 16 replies
    • 1.7k views
  9. BEST ACTIVITY EVER

• 10 replies
    • 1.2k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• It's tough to turn a ship, it takes a lot of work.  It can also be risky to turn it too quickly:  Bad habits take time to correct and Scouting moves at Scouting speed - which can be frustratingly slow when you see that a lot of change is needed and your energy level for it exceeds those around you.  SPLs serve for 6 months.  Start working with prospective future SPLs now.  Get them to NYLT.  Then THEY will ask for ILST, THEY will come to PLCs with agenda.  It's going to be tough to change things today.  But you have to start planting seeds.  If you like the unit otherwise, keep going.  It takes TIME and PERSEVERANCE and REPETITION to change things like this but it'll come.  If you don't have the time or tenacity to see it through, you might not be happy there long term and you owe it to yourself and your son to find a place where you can enjoy scouting.  Or if your son is enjoying it in all its chaotic glory - maybe that's enough, you might be happier just being 'parent'.  
    • If you like, you can probably still send feedback to: commissionerserviceteam@scouting.org
    • https://forms.gle/L5pHray2RdD4Xt2R9 for those interested n/m - no longer accepting input.
    • "was twice "called to task" for taking nude photographs of Boy Scouts," you need a law to know that was wrong? "two Scouts came forward to say Brock had "relationships with them as well as other members of the troop" and I know for a fact that the types of relationships he was having was hella illegal, even in the 60's.
    • Twice called to task for showing bad pictures?  I agree it's extremely in appropriate, but what 1968 law would have applied?  If we look back on 1960s as the era of free love and redefining society, there is way more to this story than can be read here.   And it 100% misses the time and context.  ...  He was expelled when more came forward.   Yeah, the system worked.  Like so many case law examples, the incidents are ugly and don't show society at it's best.  But, it seems to have worked.  ...  I agree I'd prefer the police were involved.  BUT, that was society in the 1960s.   I'm more upset with so many groups that kept not reporting even in the 1990s, 2000s and even the last few years.  
  • Who's Online (See full list)