Leaders who don't know their cheating.

Competition is good. Winning is good. Sometimes it's the greatest. But...

...when the competition devolves into merely the desire to win (as said above) at any cost, by any means, then the point of the competition is lost. All one needs to do is take a step back and close look at the world around us today, and it's not all that hard to see that this very philosophy is ingrained in much of our business and professional worlds. We, as a species, have learned that winning is everything, and losing is.., well, for losers.

But competition is, indeed, good. And winning is good. But only as long as the ideals of the process are kept in mind at all times. The sacrifice to increase ones skills. The "team" skills, working successfully with others, even under pressure, towards a common goal. And, as TwocubDad said, something that is all too often the least of the desired results upon winning...the humility. The humility to rejoice at the victory, yet at the same time express true appreciation for the opportunity to compete, and sincere gratitude that ones competitors have given up a real run for the money.

I remember a time when my sons, and now my grandsons, all of whom play or played hockey, at the end of the game or tournament, would line up to shake hands with other team, win or lose. And often, the victory parties would include the opponents, them or us. What happened to that time? Now we view professional and even college sports where winning is, indeed, everything, and we wonder about why some in Scouting instill methods in their troops that we think abhorent and unfair. The examples out there are many times not the greatest.

And so we see leaders in all walks of life, Scouting included, who use every edge they can to help their guys win. And sometimes these "edges" are over the line in our minds, for we commonly believe we know the intent of the rules. We commonly believe that soaking the wood in white fuel prior to the event is over the line. But there's a couple among us who see it differently and, if it's not explicitly forbidden in the rules. it's OK to do... Such is, and always will be...life. To recognize those for what they are, and to instill in those we lead that thinking like that has it's consequences, as in loss of esteem and gained notariety that isn't the kind one wants, we must be able to answer the questions that will invariably come from the Scouts. To recognize it for what it is, and teach those who follow that there is a better, even if harder way. The right way. And teach them why.

It will be said that those who seek or create the loopholes and take advantage of them have no more problem sleeping than you or I. And perhaps they can look at themselves in the mirror without a problem. But I'd bet, and always will, that they can't look themselves straight in the eye...

And with that I'll just end this with something that became my own personal compass years and years ago. I follow it. I taught it as a SM. And I taught it in many years of adult leader training, including WB. Maybe you know it. It's called "The Man in the Glass".

When you get what you want in your struggle for self,

And the world makes you King for a day,

Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,

And see what that man has to say.

For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,

Who judgement upon you must pass.

The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life

Is the one staring back from the glass.

He's the fellow to please, never mind all the rest,

For he's with you clear up to the end,

And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test

If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,

And think you're a wonderful guy,

But the man in the glass says you're only a bum

If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,

And get pats on the back as you pass,

But your final reward will be heartaches and tears

If you've cheated the man in the glass.

My Dad gave me a moral compass when I was about 12. He said, "when you want to do something, think about how you would feel about having your Mom read about it on the front page of the paper." That thought has kept me from doing a lot of stupid things over the years.

When I use written material, I always like to credit the source...I found this about your poem:

"Author Unknown to us until August 2002, when we were directed to the official story which includes copyright information from The American Magazine where this was first published in 1934.

We formerly referred to this poem as "Man in the Glass".

"The Guy in the Glass" Written in 1934 By Peter "Dale" Wimbrow Sr., 1895-1954