Bankruptcy, everything but the legalese

32 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

Add ten years of covering IVF file coverage (2012 release).  Add more for other lawsuit discussions (membership, GSA, religious, etc).  Starting with 1998 Supreme Court case.  My whole scouting era has been controversy and legal issues.  ...  For most of BSA's 110 years, I can't believe there was much controversy at all.  Just the last 20. 

BSA v Dale was over 20 years ago. Women/girls and BSA has been an issue for a long time, with the first recognized scoutmaster coming in 1988. Religious doctrines have been an issue. Segregated scouting units is an old issue.

Edited by malraux
a word
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're going to split the ch11.x thread in 2. The original will be kept as it was intended, for the legal aspects of the case and everything else will go here. In a nutshell, if the judge is dealing wi

@Gilwell_1919 I want to respond to this, but in the proper thread, which is this one. Let's be clear what Kosnoff has said. 1) He had stated that scouting should continue. He's repeated th

No one here, except members who are claimants, have any part of deciding anything in this bankruptcy. Let's drop the personal criticism of others who express in a scoutlike way their differing op

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

Using this thread out of respect for our moderators.  :)

Looked for updates this morning and saw ...  @MYCVAStory postd:  "TCC will be holding a Town Hall on Thursday, February 17, 2022 at 8 pm (Eastern) to discuss the latest ..."

I had a feeling that I'm in an episode of Twight Zone and Rod Sterling was talking.  It's Monday.  That's Thursday.   ... It's why bankruptcy takes so long?  

• Feb 18, 2020 -- BSA filed bankruptcy
  • Feb 14, 2022 -- Today

At end of today ...

• elapsed days 728
  • elapsed weeks 104
  • elapsed months 24 (in a few more days)
  • elapsed years 2 (in a few more days)

Add ten years of covering IVF file coverage (2012 release).  Add more for other lawsuit discussions (membership, GSA, religious, etc).  Starting with 1998 Supreme Court case.  My whole scouting era has been controversy and legal issues.  ...  For most of BSA's 110 years, I can't believe there was much controversy at all.  Just the last 20. 

You're forgetting about decades of argument/discussion/problems with and caused by racial segregation/desegregation/integration etc.  Plus whatever prompted the changes in 1972 and then the backlash and response to those changes, etc., etc.

A large, nationwide organization is going to contain and reflect the large nationwide problems and changes of its given time.  

42 minutes ago, malraux said:

BSA v Dale was over 20 years ago. Women/girls and BSA has been an issue for a long time, with the first recognized scoutmaster coming in 1988. Religious doctrines have been an issue. Segregated scouting units is an old issue.

So the first female scoutmaster was 1988?

Just now, 1980Scouter said:

Thank you.  I had no idea it happened in the late 80's. I never saw any during my time in scouting as a youth of that era.

My Webelos handbook of that era talks about how exciting Webelos is because now your leader has to be a man.

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, skeptic said:

This just posted in the United Methodist's Men web site.  Charters extended through June to allow time to work through the myriad remaining concerns.  https://www.umc.org/en/content/united-methodists-extend-bsa-charters-through-june-2022

Part of this notes that the registration element is separate from the Charter, and that is supposed to happen still if necessary.  Councils should have the details in regard to that; again as per the article.

1 hour ago, skeptic said:

This just posted in the United Methodist's Men web site.  Charters extended through June to allow time to work through the myriad remaining concerns.  https://www.umc.org/en/content/united-methodists-extend-bsa-charters-through-june-2022

Per the announcement in the link, the BSA settlement and the new YP Non-Monetary Commitments, I would say it's a very good bet the UMC will be one of the CO members on the Youth Protection Committee. If so, that will go a long way to create a tight protocol for their YP through active and ongoing collaboration with the BSA YP Executive and Youth Protection Committee. I assume everyone can access the documents I mentioned.

Edited by ThenNow
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, skeptic said:

Part of this notes that the registration element is separate from the Charter, and that is supposed to happen still if necessary.  Councils should have the details in regard to that; again as per the article.

I spoke with our council registrar today about all Methodist units in our council showing "on hold" in the recharter report that I access using Commissioner Tools.  I was told that until this is resolved that nothing can be processed or posted for any of those units.  We have both Scouts and adult leaders whose paperwork was included in charter packets who are still in limbo.  We cannot enter any advancement, or input any activity logs for those folks until there is a resolution and council gets a signed charter agreement.

Someone on high needs to authorize councils to process these units before we hit the timeframe where they will drop off of Scoutbook altogether.

2 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

I spoke with our council registrar today about all Methodist units in our council showing "on hold" in the recharter report that I access using Commissioner Tools.  I was told that until this is resolved that nothing can be processed or posted for any of those units.  We have both Scouts and adult leaders whose paperwork was included in charter packets who are still in limbo.  We cannot enter any advancement, or input any activity logs for those folks until there is a resolution and council gets a signed charter agreement.

Someone on high needs to authorize councils to process these units before we hit the timeframe where they will drop off of Scoutbook altogether.

Thank you for that comment.  I hope that they have already recognized this issue and it is part of "Council" having instructions in this regard.  I am speaking with our own council tomorrow and will have additional info.  The good thing, fingers crossed, is that the Methodists are still on board to be a CO, just with better protection.  

Are LC's in your area communicating what is going on with bankruptcy and scouts being abused in your council to new parents and prospective scouts?

I feel like LC's in my area are not. I would like to raise awareness to protect future scouts. I know YPT will get better in the future but now parents need to know their child may not be safe in the present BSA. 

Thinking of renting billboards by the council office and camp highlighting the amount of abuse cases and need to be cautious.