Girl Scouts Suing the Boy Scouts

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were coming back from an outing last week, stopped for lunch, saw the Girl Scouts were selling cookies nearby so we wandered over and bought some cookies, talked about our recent outing, heard abou

As a DL for a female den, I try to never use gender terms. My girls are "scouts." If I start to say, "hey girls" I quickly correct myself and call them "scouts." Using gender terms is a crutch I, as a

What we have here is a great opportunity for BSA to correct a bad branding decision.  Who are Scouts BSA?  The public doesn't know.  It has no history, no identity.  You have to explain it, and it goe

Posted Images

My Eagle scout son and I were walking out of the local big box home repair store and stopped to buy some cookies.  As we were purchasing my son asked the girls if any of them were going to give up selling cookies and join Boy Scouts.  He has no issues with girls in scouting but I think the mom's there were not happy with the way he asked his question.  

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Sablanck said:

My Eagle scout son and I were walking out of the local big box home repair store and stopped to buy some cookies.  As we were purchasing my son asked the girls if any of them were going to give up selling cookies and join Boy Scouts.  He has no issues with girls in scouting but I think the mom's there were not happy with the way he asked his question.  

I’m the leader of my daughters brownie troop and our Service Unit sent out an email with cookie sales info and in it was a bullet point “report any Boy Scouts at your cookie booth”. 

Their constant negativity  towards the BSA program in SU meetings and Council events is a large part of why my dual registered scout will only be participating in cub scouts next year.

10 minutes ago, PinkPajamas said:

I’m the leader of my daughters brownie troop and our Service Unit sent out an email with cookie sales info and in it was a bullet point “report any Boy Scouts at your cookie booth”. 

Report them?  Are there Girl Scout Cookie police?  

• What if they are just wandering by??
  • What if they are customers??
  • What if they are members of the family??

Soooo many questions

I bought some cookies.  I know the leader that was in charge of the cookie station. I wonder to whom I was reported and if I am now on a no-fly list or something.  This is getting really out-of-hand. No more cookies for me.

40 minutes ago, TLK said:

I bought some cookies.  I know the leader that was in charge of the cookie station. I wonder to whom I was reported and if I am now on a no-fly list or something.  This is getting really out-of-hand. No more cookies for me.

This guy is looking for you:

GS-FEDS.jpg

Well, just because one service unit has a bee in their bonnet doesn't mean I still don't like those cookies. I don't buy from tables in front of stores, though. The neighbor kids that ring my doorbell get my money.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, PinkPajamas said:

I asked those same questions. We have a group page for our SU and they deleted my post. 

I also had to sit through a meeting where we were warned not to give members of the BSA our program materials. Why they thought that would be a problem I have no clue. 

It's sad that they're drawing these divisive lines in the sand. There are parents in my Pack with girls in both BSA and GSUSA. Are they going to make them choose?

I've always been supportive of the girl in my Wolf den who is also a Girl Scout doing both activities. I ask her how things are going in GS and I'm nothing but positive about her experience and I genuinely think it's great that she gets to have 2 different scouting experiences.

Now I wonder what the parents in her GS unit say, if they're as encouraging. I certainly hope so, but I have to wonder.

9 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Speaking of protecting brand identity, I wonder if a Girl Scout or the GSUSA obtained permission to rebrand Somoas to Momoas from Jason Momoa,  Aquaman,  DC, Warner Brothers, ...

https://www.today.com/food/girl-scout-creates-jason-momoa-themed-samoa-cookies-t149052

Yeah, GSUSA HQ probably had a conniption.  These local Girl Scout folks were doing to Mr. Momoa's intellectual property (as well as that of DC Comics and the movie studio) what the Girl Scouts accuse local Boy Scout folks of doing to Girl Scout intellectual property.  And in this case, there was no question that their ploy was successful and the Girl Scouts profited directly from Mr. Momoa's name and image (in his Aquaman role).  

Check out the discussion on the Facebook page of the Girl Scouts of Colorado.  The Council's comment included the following:  "This all started as an inside joke with her friends and family.  She has sold her supply of 35 boxes or so, and is no longer using the image to sell cookies - though her cookie season is ongoing."  Other comments delve into the intellectual property issue, as well as the appropriateness of using an image of a shirtless, well-muscled man to sell Girl Scout cookies.

Edited by dkurtenbach
Typo

For all in this thread, remember not all GSUSA units are the same just like not all troops are the same. The poor behavior of one troop or one SU is not necessarily indicative of the whole.

While I have also seen examples of poor behavior by GSUSA units, let us not assume they represent the whole in the same manner they appear to be assuming a few BSA units that are recruiting incorrectly represent the whole.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dkurtenbach said:

Check out the discussion on the Facebook page of the Girl Scouts of Colorado.  The Council's comment included the following:  "This all started as an inside joke with her friends and family.  She has sold her supply of 35 boxes or so, and is no longer using the image to sell cookies - though her cookie season is ongoing."  Other comments delve into the intellectual property issue, as well as the appropriateness of using an image of a shirtless, well-muscled man to sell Girl Scout cookies.

My daughter's are girl scouts and I wish the GSUSA all the success in the world.  

But given how part of the GSUSA lawsuit specifically focused on the actions of individual local units, their comment seems remarkably hypocritical. 

Ugh - I just wish this had not stooped to the level of lawsuits.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

But given how part of the GSUSA lawsuit specifically focused on the actions of individual local units, their comment seems remarkably hypocritical. 

Especially since both use a decentralized organizational structure, you’d think they would have thought more about how going after local unit and volunteer actions could come back to bite them. Frankly baffling.