Girl Scouts Suing the Boy Scouts

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were coming back from an outing last week, stopped for lunch, saw the Girl Scouts were selling cookies nearby so we wandered over and bought some cookies, talked about our recent outing, heard abou

As a DL for a female den, I try to never use gender terms. My girls are "scouts." If I start to say, "hey girls" I quickly correct myself and call them "scouts." Using gender terms is a crutch I, as a

What we have here is a great opportunity for BSA to correct a bad branding decision.  Who are Scouts BSA?  The public doesn't know.  It has no history, no identity.  You have to explain it, and it goe

Posted Images

Yeah...like we didn't see this coming.  And I was hoping all of the Scout organizations would gather at some to be determined site and sing kumbayah while all mocking those who still wear red epaulettes on their uniforms (or sashes??) and making jokes about the various professionals in each organization

• Upvote 1

From the article:

A century ago, the Boy Scouts sued to block the Girl Scouts from using the name “Scout,” according to The Atlantic magazine.

Looks like BSA lost that case. I don't see how stare decisis would be ignored when GSUSA tries to take a second bite at the apple.

I like how the article mentions the #MeToo movement, which is completely unrelated to the lawsuit. A clear case of a journalist tossing in personal views.

The case was filed as Americans went to the polls to vote in midterm elections in which the gender divide is stark and expected to influence the outcome. A record number of women are seeking office in the election, and the #MeToo realizations of workplace sexual harassment in the last year have crystallized voter opinion on candidates and social issues.

• Upvote 1

BSA has used "Scouts" and "Scouting" since 1913.  A tad late to sue over merely using those words.  This is the last gasp of a zombie organization.

Scouting BSA cookies!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Win the culture war and leave only devastation.

"Free stuff"

• Upvote 2

I think some of the issue is local leaders and councils being “innovative”.  See below for an image used in the lawsuit.... clearly not from Nationals as their online forms crash too quickly to take screenshots.

1106-boy-scout-recruitment-form-1.jpg

• Haha 2

Scouts BSA sounds cool but I would have switched it to “BSA Scouts”. It rolls off the tongue better. Guess we’ll see how National responds to this. Saddest part is that there are people out there that actually think that the two organizations are interchangeable/the same. BTW, what’s wrong with red loops? As long as it’s on the correct uniform (de la Renta shirt) it’s still official. 

• Upvote 2