Jump to content
69RoadRunner

Girl Scouts Suing the Boy Scouts

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, cocomax said:

So the scouting origination formerly know as Boy Scouts of America (BSA) should be renamed  Scouts USA. or "SUSA" for short and members of SUSA should be called "Scouts".

Or, SUSAns . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you had dens of 16 and 23 boys, you're not doing it right.  There is a reason that your training tells you that the den should be no more than 6-8.  I was CM of a Pack of 15 dens, including 4 Webelos dens.  We split the pack because it was too unwieldy, taking over 2 hours for a no-frills pack meeting.  We were Pack 99 and the new Pack became Pack 991.  The DE was thrilled to have a new unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dkurtenbach said:

Or, SUSAns . . . 

The official name of the Girl Scouts is "Girl Scouts USA"...I'm sure they wouldn't be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, scoutldr said:

The official name of the Girl Scouts is "Girl Scouts USA"...I'm sure they wouldn't be happy.

Well, they are not going to be happy if everyone starts calling the "Boy Scouts" the "Scouts" after the girls join next year, which is what I see happening.

The general public does not use the term "BSA", I have not heard that once from the Public, that is a scouter term, just like SM,  ASM, PL and SPL.

The public will be politically correct and call the girls that are members of BSA by the term "Scouts".

They will really make the GSUSA folks very very super unhappy, because a new group of girls that the general public sees as "Scouts" are not going to be members of the GSUSA.

I think the general public will just use the terms "Scouts" and "Girl Scouts",  and I think they will know the difference.  They might say "Scouts" to be politically correct, but their brain knows they are really the "Boy Scouts" and that  girls can join the "Boy Scouts" now and that is cool, but we can not say "Boy Scouts" anymore because that will upset the girls.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, scoutldr said:

If you had dens of 16 and 23 boys, you're not doing it right.  There is a reason that your training tells you that the den should be no more than 6-8.  I was CM of a Pack of 15 dens, including 4 Webelos dens.  We split the pack because it was too unwieldy, taking over 2 hours for a no-frills pack meeting.  We were Pack 99 and the new Pack became Pack 991.  The DE was thrilled to have a new unit.

Very True, but sometimes life serves us lemons. So we make lemonade. 11 of my 16 Webelos Eagled ,with 14 of them aging out at 17 years old. So, it can be done with some (ok a lot) creativity.

Just for reference, our pack was 140 strong, AFTER THE SPLIT:blink:

Barry

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dkurtenbach said:

Or, SUSAns . . . 

Today on the Scoutcast podcast, I heard "boy BSA Scouts", "girl BSA Scouts", "boy Scouts BSA", and the forbidden "girl Scouts BSAs."

Maybe Susans isn't such a bad idea. :p

Edited by Saltface
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cocomax said:

Well, they are not going to be happy if everyone starts calling the "Boy Scouts" the "Scouts" after the girls join next year, which is what I see happening.

Perhaps not - but I do think we have to separate what "makes the GSUSA happy" from what the BSA can legally do.

11 minutes ago, cocomax said:

They might say "Scouts" to be politically correct, but their brain knows they are really the "Boy Scouts" and that  girls can join the "Boy Scouts" now and that is cool, but we can not say "Boy Scouts" anymore because that will upset the girls.

I suspect for a long time - there will be people who will have to internally translate from "Boy Scouts" to "Scouts".  That's normal.  You could probably also just refer to is as "TPFKABS" (The Program Formerly Known As Boy Scouts)

But it has nothing to do with upsetting girls.  The very fact that people say this is about not upsetting girls is exactly why we need to change the name.  On Feb 1, 2019 the program is equally one for boys & girls.  It's not about upsetting the girls, it's about making it their program too.  By changing the name, it's a very clear statement that it's now a program for girls just as much as for boys.  It's not about upsetting girls, it's about welcoming girls with open arms.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

Perhaps not - but I do think we have to separate what "makes the GSUSA happy" from what the BSA can legally do.

I suspect for a long time - there will be people who will have to internally translate from "Boy Scouts" to "Scouts".  That's normal.  You could probably also just refer to is as "TPFKABS" (The Program Formerly Known As Boy Scouts)

But it has nothing to do with upsetting girls.  The very fact that people say this is about not upsetting girls is exactly why we need to change the name.  On Feb 1, 2019 the program is equally one for boys & girls.  It's not about upsetting the girls, it's about making it their program too.  By changing the name, it's a very clear statement that it's now a program for girls just as much as for boys.  It's not about upsetting girls, it's about welcoming girls with open arms.

 

The name change is not complete if we keep BSA!  If we keep the name BSA we are making the very clear statement that we are still really the "Boy Scouts of America" and that is not welcoming to girls at all. 

BSA has to change to something else,  the name BSA has a "B" but no "G", ether drop the "B" or add a "G" 

Ether SA or BGSA or GBSA is fine with me.

Edited by cocomax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cocomax said:

The name change is not complete if we keep BSA!  If we keep the name BSA we are making the very clear statement that we are still really the "Boy Scouts of America" and that is not welcoming to girls at all. 

BSA has to change to something else,  the name BSA has a "B" but no "G", ether drop the "B" or add a "G" 

Ether SA or BGSA or GBSA is fine with me.

Simple, Scouts BSA = Scouts But Scouts Asexually.

Edited by Saltface
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, cocomax said:

The name change is not complete if we keep BSA!  If we keep the name BSA we are making the very clear statement that we are still really the "Boy Scouts of America" and that is not welcoming to girls at all. 

BSA has to change to something else,  the name BSA has a "B" but no "G", ether drop the "B" or add a "G" 

Ether SA or BGSA or GBSA is fine with me.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't agree. Many organizations and companies whose names switched to (or always were) acronyms have been able to stick with the acronym even though the historical terms may be obsolete. For example: YMCA, KFC, AMF, 3M to name a quick few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cocomax said:

Boy Scouts of America (BSA) should be renamed  Scouts USA. or "SUSA"

I can't do 'Susans', but I can do SUSA.  Especially if we make Mr. Potato Head our national spokesman:

6257520_f248.jpg

Then he can be the savior of Irving's membership numbers, the Re-SUSA-tater.

 

I can sink no lower...

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

I understand what you are saying, but I don't agree. Many organizations and companies whose names switched to (or always were) acronyms have been able to stick with the acronym even though the historical terms may be obsolete. For example: YMCA, KFC, AMF, 3M to name a quick few.

That's my read too.  The name of the program you join is more important than the name of the organization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SCOUTS.

Five types of SCOUT in the BSA :   CUB,   . . . . . , Venture,   Explorer,   Sea,,,,,

The problem is that second classification.   What to call the female Tenderfoot? 

THAT is the problem, to my mind.     I can name a female Wolf or Bear Cub, I can name a female Venturererer,  but how to refer to a young lady First Class... ?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×