Camping & High Adventure

Share a camping tip.

Subforums

1. Equipment Reviews & Discussions

Discussions dealing with equipment topics (tents, lights, packs, boots, stoves, etc.)

Tales of Scout cooks, prized techniques and yummy recipes for gathering around the fire.

1906 topics in this forum

• 1 reply
    • 10 replies
    • 1k views
  1. Learning to Portage...

• 7 replies
  2. Campfire Songs

• 3 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 4 replies
  3. Mt. LeConte Lodge Hike

• 4 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 8 replies
    • 1k views
    • 11 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 6 replies
    • 19 replies
    • 2.4k views
    • 1 reply
    • 16 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 4 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Sadly, I'm kinda siding with the Girl Scouts on this one.  It's a step too far.  It implies that there is only one Scouting organization in the US.  
    • Regarding research, there is a ton of research, not only from the past but also current that supports single gender learning and spaces. GSUSA uses it so support their rationale as to why they do not allow boys into their program. Which no one has a problem with. Some Scouting associations, while coed, do segregate the sexes at the Scout/Guide age. Cubs is coed, then you have Boy Scouts and Girl Guides for 11-13, then coed 14+ And how many WAGGS countries are coed, and those associations are members of both WOSM and WAGGS.
    • I think they were more concerned about GSUSA's reaction, and they did sue. Yep I too see another lawsuit.
    • There is literally no need to change the name.  The stated reason is to bring in more people.  Tells me that they don't care about the people already in who have been in for years and are totally cool with most of the changes - I'm still annoyed about trashing the Bobcat rank.  Sorry, but to me, when an organization changes its name, it loses its history.  You can claim it hasn't, but it has.  I never met a single girl who didn't join because Cub Scouts was a program under BSA.  I have met plenty who didn't join because it was too expensive.  I'm not seeing how spending millions of dollars to change the name helps reduce costs.
    • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouting/USA "...quietly abandoned..." And, I am waiting with bated breath to hear the GSUSA reaction to this.  I would be surprised if they accept it without objection.   See the Lapp Test  https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/lapp_test  "A likelihood of confusion exists when an allegedly infringing trademark is likely to cause an appreciable number of reasonably prudent purchasers to be confused as to the source or origin of the products or services it is used to identify."
  • Who's Online (See full list)