"Roll your own" high adventure summer camp

As the camping coordinator for Troop140 in Lancaster, Texas (near Dallas), I am looking for somewhere in northern New Mexico or Colorado to take our troop in 2004. We are going to Northern Tier in 2003, but haven't been succesful to get into Philmont in 2004. In 2001 we went to the Latir Wilderness (near Questa) and spent a week. During the week we rock climbed one day and rafted the Taos Box another day. We split the troop into younger and older scouts and did 2 separate loop hikes from basecamp. I am looking for suggestions for a similar place in Colorado or Northern New Mexico to do a similar "Roll your own" high adventure summer camp. I anticipate having 6 adults and 12 to 14 scouts

Have you looked at the Pecos trek sponcered by Camp Frank Rand. Our scouts feel Pecos was best and most challenging backpacking trek our Venture Patrols have done. Rand gives you a guide with any patrol gear you don't have. You can add or take what ever gear you prefer. They get their food from Philmont. The Pecos Wilderness is very large, so you can pick as challenging Trek as you want. And there is some routes with fishing. I don't think you will be disapointed. Great trek.

Anther one we liked was Spanish Peaks at Camp Spanish Peak near Walsenburg Colorado. They also include a guide and you can plan the trek as challenging as you want. I believe their routes can include climbing and rappelling. Very nice as well, but our guys rate Pecos first with Philmont next, then Spanish Peaks.

Barry

I'll second the vote for Pecos Wilderness. I've made two trips into there once with an old Scout buddy and once with only my 13-yr old son. Great area with lots of variety and challenges.

Don't be afraid to totally "roll your own". If you have a solid camping program, you can do this! Consider using some freeze-dried dinners (cheaper if bought in bulk on-line) and using simple oatmeal packets, bagels, peanut butter, sausage, etc, from the local grocery store to save costs.

REI store in Albuquerque rents gear (packs, tents, sleeping bags, etc.), so boys dont all have to run out and buy them.

I picked up a couple of books that will be very helpful:

Pecos Wilderness Trail Guide Santa Fe and Carson National Forests.

Published by Southwest Natural and Cultural Heritage Association, 6501 Fourth St., NW, Suite 1, Albuquerque, NM 87107

ISBN: 1-879343-19-3

Trail Guide to Geology of the Upper Pecos, Scenic Trips to the Geologic Past No. 6

Published by New Mexico Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources, Socorro, NM 87801

I dont have the details, but another area to consider is in SW Colorado between Durango and Silverton. The narrow gauge train makes a stop on one of its northbound and southbound runs every day to drop off/pick up backpackers. Its a relatively challenging hike up a long canyon to area known as Chicago Basin. Surrounded by several 14,000 footers and absolutely spectacular. Main advice here is to start out very early (4-5am) if want to tackle a summit the afternoon thunderstorms can be dangerous when youre caught exposed that far above the tree line.

We may see you in Canada this summer (July 9-17) and got lucky with Philmont slots for 04, but Im already thinking about taking the Philmont guys up to one of these areas in 05 to show them how they can enjoy this stuff for the rest of their active lives. No black powder rifles, burro races, etc.. Just the satisfaction of clawing your way up a ridgeline with very few other folks in sight and enjoying Gods creation spread out before you. It doesnt get any better than that!

Again, with a bit of homework and preparation you can do this. Good luck!

-mike f

• 4 months later...

Definately "roll your own." Our Troop has done this for years and we have even quit going to any Scout camp as they really don't provide the quality of experience that we now demand.

I would highly recommend the trip mentioned previously, the Weminuche Wilderness trip accessed by the Durango to Silverton Narrow Guage RR. It is highly spectacular. Our Troop did it easily, but beware, you have to cross the Cont. Devide twice from Elk Park to Needleton via the Vallecito Trail and traversing Chicago Basin (about 32 miles and five days and surrounded by 14000 foot peaks). I recommended this to a OK Venture Crew who couldn't take the altitude and wasn't able to top the pass. The scenery is utterly fantastic though, and is worth conditioning yourselves for.

Should you go, get the guide book called "Weminuche Wilderness" and reserve Narrow Guage RR tickets NOW, or you will not get on the train.

Alternately, there are lots of Wilderness areas in CO, NM (the Pecos is very heavily traveled and I quit going there 20 years ago due to crowding...but it does lose its snow in May), WY and MT. These include Maroon Bells near Aspen (also highly crowded but spectacular), Hunter Frypan (to the East of the 'Bells') La Garita in S Colo, and a dozen others. There are also 54 Fourteener's in CO (walkup high altitude mountains...all with trails to do, including Long's Peak,Elbert, Massive, and many others.

I would be very pleased to help you find a good place there to go should you like to reply privately.

JB