favorite hot sauce and its uses

• 2 weeks later...

Dat'l Do It Devil Drops

made from the Datil pepper of FLA.

Good stuff. Has a mild first taste and then the heat hits you. HOT!

And of course my good friend Mr. Habanero, I grow a few in my garden for the people I don't like, and for special batches of chile.

• 2 months later...

I got some jalapeno flavored sesame sticks for my trail mix thinking the scouts would stay out of it.....Durn critters ate even more of it

As far as hot sauce I (and the scouts) like Tiger Sauce not so much heat but a great flavor

works on anything that needs a kick

AK-Eagle

I've just discovered Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce here in Hawaii. This stuff is fabulous, made in the USA, and comes in 28 ounce bottles with a rooster on the front. I use it on everything I used to put Tabasco or picante sauce on. It's nice and thick too, so it'll stick to the food.

KS

Hard to beat good ole Tabasco. Melinda's out of Charleston, SC is pretty good though, made from Habaneros. When we're out for a hike, the boys often complain about needing snacks. I offer them Salsa-flavored cheese crackers (I think they're made by Lance). I warn the boys that the crackers are spicy, but testosterone and hunger often move them anyway. The older boys know better by now. You could call it hazing but so warned, they have every opportunity to avoid the result. And they don't complain much about needing snacks afterwards.

I should add that all of the hot sauces, for that matter tomato sauce and catsup (ketchup?) are great for cleaning metal surfaces, especially copper. Lemon juice and orange juice (and similar juices) work pretty well also. To test the effect put a drop on a tarnished penny. The effect is nearly immediate, just a few seconds, and your wife will have new respect for your knowledge of Revere ware. No elbow grease necessary unless egg or something is caked on. Now think again about what's happening in our stomachs....

I love fresh made salsa. As far as store bought brands......Frank's Hot Sauce has a great taste, but isn't very hot, but it taste great. I espcially love Texas Firehouse Habenero Salsa from Corpus Christi, TX - (it is made by a couple of Corpus firemen), and it has a nice burn to it. There is a datil pepper sauce you can find in St Augustine, FLA that is out of this world marketed under the name Dixie Datil, and my favorite of the Dixie Datil is Outrageous Orange. I am a big time chili head and I think Outrageous Orange is the best tasting hot sauce you can buy.

On a side note, Dave Ultimate Insanity is the hottest stuff I have ever found. I eat lots of hot sauce and many fresh hot peppers and Dave's Ultimate Insanity is just too hot! A bottle last a long time.