Ferry Service to Toronto??

After more than a decade serving on summer camp staffs, decided to take a sabbatical and relax as a "camper" for next year. The plan is a week at Tinnerman,getting there by bike. Since my route(NC, Va., Maryland, Penn, NY) will take me up near the Niagra area, was wondering if there was a ferry service that crossed over to Toronto?

I checked the internet, and it doesn't look like it. Keep in mind, you will be entering a "foreign country" and have to go through at the border crossing near Buffalo. Not a big deal, but make sure you have proof of citizenship...I don't think passports are required, but at least a birth certificate is. And dont' forget Customs... A quick call to the Canadian Embassy can answer most questions.

I did an internet search also, and came up with nothing as you did SctLdr. I'm hoping that there may be some local scouters in that area that would know.

For the return leg, I'm also looking for information about freighters, cruise ships, etc. leaving out of Toronto, or someplace close by that will make port in Chicago.

Here's the basic plan in it's rough stage...

Cycle to Tinnerman for a week of canoeing on the French River

A boat ride on the Great Lakes to Chicago

AmTrak to Flagstaff, to hike the Grand Canyon (rim to rim to rim). Cycle through Oak Creek Canyon, and into the Mogollon Rim country, spending a week at Camp Geronimo as a camper.

Cycle into Phoenix to where the bike will be shipped home. Then off to Lone Pine, Ca., to backpack the John Muir Trail with a visit to the summit of Mt. Whitney.

After that...homeward bound