Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9616 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.4k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.3k views
  1. UNIFORM INSPECTION SHEET

• 3 replies
    • 2k views
  2. the elusive scouts-L

• 2 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.8k views
  3. Need advice on discipline

• 3 replies
    • 1.6k views
  4. Scouts with a Handicap

• 2 replies
    • 1.5k views
  5. committee member

• 4 replies
    • 1.7k views
  6. Scoutmaster

• 4 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
  7. scout leader

• 1 reply
    • 1.5k views
  8. Definition of Active

• 5 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.5k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• Problem since circa 2008 when Cub Scout Leader Specific came out, IMHO.  The Webelos DL section is almost cut and pasted from CSDL section. And now that training is modular and online, many folks think they are trained for all levels because they got most of the modules completed already, and they have been a DL for 1-4 years already. Why I really miss the in person, all day Cub Scout Leader Basic Training as it went over all the CS levels, as well as Pack level roles.
    • Well UK scouting holds a limit on the number of units which causes the waiting lists and I think provides certain quality control. I would agree to a degree, I mean I think there is something to the limiting the number of units geographically.
    • We have faced some of the same challenges During visits (AOLs were off with the scouts as we meet in the woods behind the church) our leadership discussed with the parents the various outings (gorge trip, boating, kayaking, backpacking, biking, etc);  youth led troop, servant leadership, Scouts camping away from leaders, etc etc.  As I watched the parents and listened to the few questions, my comment as we huddled after...they are not buying what we're selling.  They expect Cubs part 2 and we scare them.  Programming for 11 year olds means the youth likely leave in a year or 2.  Need to challenge and inspire.
    • Also not sure about this heading: Preparing Young People for Lives of Purpose and Impact Seems a bit vague and non definitive, more feel good than actionable.    
    • Wow, that is a capsule at best.  Guess they are being Thrifty with their output The 6% decline in Scouts (11-17) is way concerning.  As a result of that noted that Eagle Scouts are down from +/- 50K per year to under 30K per year. As was noted, we are now at 1939 membership levels.   Scouts in 1939 +/- 1,000,000 US population 1939 +/- 130,000,000 Scouts as % overall population - 0.76%   Scouts in 2024 +/- 1,000,000 US population 2024 +/- 330,000,000 Scouts as % overall population - 0.03%  
  • Who's Online (See full list)