Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9286 topics in this forum

1. Board of Review Makeup

• 2 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 0 replies
  2. An Old Scout book

• 1 reply
  3. Discipline Problems

• 7 replies
    • 1.2k views
  4. scout leader

• 1 reply
  5. Bugle

• 1 reply
  6. Patrol Leader

• 2 replies
  7. Friend

• 2 replies
  8. Cool Merit Badge site

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  9. Help with Ropework

• 0 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Good point. I didn't even look at whatever caused this. Either way, insulting people in this discussion is not acceptable. At the same time, calling someone a lying liar ... made me laugh (just because of the grammar). However, we'll remove that post.  In the meantime,  let's get back to discussing ideas and not personalities.  
    • No one at National will touch this... And since you said it was a couple of years ago, no one else will touch it either. Here is the sad truth:  it is EASY to lie, cheat, and steal your way to an Eagle rank badge (and certificate).  I see it happen on numerous occasions.  One of the biggest dirty secrets in Scouting is the sham of a merit badge program most summer camps put on.  But, ultimately, what we hope for is that the values we seek to instill will take root and grow into a way of conducting your life.  For example, when a Scout asked me to be his Eagle Project Coach, I was looking over his record and asked him about his Hiking Merit Badge..."So, tell me about your 20 mile hike in one day...was it difficult?"  He replied he had not done a 20 mile hike, and that the counselor (a lawyer in our community, council board member, and fellow "Eagle Scout") had signed him off on it because of hikes they did over a few days on a trek.  I told him that, in that case, he had not earned his Hiking Merit Badge, and asked him what he thought he should do about it.  "I'm gonna hike 20 miles" was his reply.  When he had done it, he came back to me and said it was one of the biggest physical challenges he had in Scouting, and he felt proud of the accomplishment.  He is an adult now, and still very active with our Troop as an ASM.  I tell him this was actually a bigger ethical challenge than a physical one, and he passed it superbly.  This young man IS AN EAGLE SCOUT. My suggestion is to let it go.  You will see it again.  Simply speak the truth when you do, and follow @MattR 's advice above.
    • Welcome to the forum, @UpstateNYCC I can't answer your question. It's a sorry mess and proof to me that Eagle has been over sold. The only option I can think of is talking to the scout and asking him what he thinks the right thing to do is. He might have matured enough to realize what was wrong. If so, he's learned a lot. If not, eagle won't bring him any good.
    • I just read and I do not believe that @Muttsywas referring to @CynicalScouter.   I am sure that the majority of those on this forum are well aware of @CynicalScouterpositions and appreciate all of his hard work and his opinions at least I know that I do.
    • A couple of years ago, a scout in our troop who was aging out submitted an eagle scout proposal that had some issues.  While discussing them, he admitted that a parent prepared it and forged signatures on it (the parent admitted as well).  Unbeknownst to us, the scouts mom took it to a scout leader in a different troop that she had a "relationship" with.  He signed his name on it for the scoutmaster and committee chair (not sure if he signed his name or forged our leaders' names), submitted it, got it approved, and also signed off on the eagle scout project report and eagle scout form, and submitted it to council.  We were unaware that this occurred, until we saw some publicity that his mother had prepared.  When we contacted the other scout leader, he admitted doing it, and then bragged how there was nothing we could do.  We went to our council, who proceeded to brush it under the rug (there's nothing we can do, lets not make a big deal of this, etc.).  To this day, the other leader brags about it as a recruiting tactic (he practically guarantees eagle rank to parents).  Anyone on the national level we can take this to?  Any other suggestions on how to handle?
  • Who's Online (See full list)