Come to think of it, I've never seen, and never sought, a job description for ASM. We have tried with limited success to assign an ASM to each patrol, who we refer to as a "patrol mentor." When it works, it is a big help.

One of the primary roles of the ASM is to stand in for the Scoutmaster when the Scoutmaster is absent.

I don't think ASMs should be taking on collateral duties that can be assigned to other "non uniformed" volunteers. However, one finds ASMs doing all kinds of things, just because they see a need.

I have 3 ASM's & only one has specific duties. He is the Advancement Chairman. He does other things as well. I alwas thought the ASM was to do what the title states, assist the Scoutmaster!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

We've had a discussion in our committee meetings a couple of times in recent months about people taking on regular responsibilities. While the parents in the troop have been good supporters and really done a lot of work to support the troop program, I have to continually ask people to fulfill certain responsibilities. For example, different adults take turns handling the administrative aspects of our campouts, such as the permission forms, reservations, medical forms, etc. Each time we have a campout, I have to find someone to handle that. I've tried to get someone to be our outdoor program chair or ASM of Outdoor Program (whatever) so they could take the task of finding someone to do it each month. I've told them they wouldn't have to handle it each time, but they would just need to find someone to do it each time (like I do now). No one wants to have that "permanent" responsibility.

When I delegate a responsibility to someone, I tell them to always feel free to call me with questions, but I stand back and let them do it. A couple of times, we've had plans fall through and have to scramble last second to get an activity together because the person in charge of it let something slide and I didn't (couldn't) stay on top of them to make sure it got done. I need to someone who can follow through with the person in charge of the activity to make sure it gets done.

Do I sound relatively clear on this, or am I just rambling?

I am an ASM and have been a SM before. Currently, I'm supposed to be the outdoor program coordinator. Unfortunately, since I actually got in and did what I said I would many ofthe other parents now expect me to take care of everything. Last year at our committes/annual planning meeting all of the parents agreed to take some of the jobs but not that much got done. Right now I am doing all the leg work for the camping program. I try to get the boys involved but there is only so much you can do at a meeting. Assitionally I've been working wiht the youth leaders to get them more and more involved in the meeting planning. Right now I am still having to set an agenda for each meeting but the SPL is taking the agenda and running the program.

I had to be really firm last October about not being willing to pick up the popcorn duties too, but very little got done on it and very little money was raised.

Our SM is getting tired. He talked about reitiring two years ago while I was overseas but agreed to stay on. Now that I'm back I've pretty much picked up the majority of of SM duties. We may be in a gradual transition mode. I'm trying to get some webeleos in this year who have active dads. Maybe that could help us turn the corner on this issue.

Congratulations Weekender! Now you can sit at the adult table.

You said you are hoping to get some Webelos with active dads, don't forget the moms. The next question for the troop my son is about to join is "what about me? where do I fit in?".

Even if Moms don't want to camp or do things directly with the boys, they can do a lot of the background stuff. And some of us even like to camp and do "guy" stuff.

In our troop, about 60 scouts with 6 active patrols, we have an Advancement Chair., a Hikemaster, and an Eagle Scout Advisor, in addition to the 6 Patrol Advisors. The troop comm. active jobs are Troop Chair., Treas., and Newsletter Chair. Our troop has a good record, our 50th year with 122 Eagle Scouts and good retention after the 1st year.

As noted above, there are many things that women who are not comfortable with camping can do to support the program. The single most effective advancement chair I ever saw was a mom.

As I have also commented in other threads, we try to identify specific adults to take on the responsibility for specific outings when we meet as a large group to put together our calendar for the year. We call these people "trek leaders" even where no real walking is involved. Trek leaders may or may not be ASMs. In fact, getting experienced outdoorsmen who are new to the unit to take on a trek is a good way of getting them more involved in the total program.

I found this thread interesting. As someone who signed up last March to be an ASM, I was looking forward to helping out as much as possible. However, other than attending committe meetings and all but one campouts, I haven't done too much.

The SM did suggest training this spring. Hopefully, after that, I can become more involved with the boys.

The Scoutmaster Handbook gives some suggestions on how to use Assistant Scoutmasters. Here are a few they mention and a few additional.

* Fill in for SM when needed

* Oversee New Scout Patrol program

* Webelos Resource Person

* Lead certain Introduction to Leadership conferences

* Train Den Chiefs

* Oversee Venture patrols

* Adult quartermaster

* Grubmaster for parents and adult leaders on outings

* Skills trainer for Junior Leaders

* New family orientations

* Fill in the blank

It all starts with training!

I am coming up on one year as a ASM.

Still trying to find my place.

But, I have learned so much over these 11 months!

Coming over from Cub Scouts as a Den Leader and Asst. CC to Boy Scouts was a real shock the 1st 3 months I thought this is out of control. But once I learned more about the patrol method, I understood why things are the way they are, the boys are learning as they go!

We have a large troop 65 boys, and 18 active registered ASM plus 15 committee personnel, (heard a rumor we will be crossing over around 40 Weblos!). I had the luxury to learn from the older Scouts and the old, er I mean experienced leaders.

What I have learned my number one responsibility is. Keep the scouts safe and on the right course, meaning watch from a distance and only step in if needed or asked. Boy was that hard for me to learn.

Number 2: Do not be afraid to question the Scoutmaster, at least our Scoutmaster is opened to ideas and comments, and will explain why thing are done a certain way.

Number 3: Jump in and assist whenever and whoever needs it.

If you are a new leader, remember you are only there to steer when needed or asked and to make sure that the troop is following the patrol method.

I went through the Scoutmaster Fundamentals training, what I learned from that is, it is hard to act as a patrol! Even with all of the teamwork session I had through work.

I believe our Scouts will handle the patrol (teamwork when they start working) better than we did, because they have done it.

Remember me the 1 of 6 ASM's well here is how we do it.

1. Each patrol has an ASM with a backup assigned to it , this is for guidance only.

2. Each ASM has a specific job (Monthly camping, Summer Camp, Fundraising, Advancement for specific areas, Recruitment, Equipment maintenance) just to list a few it seems to work. You just need to find everyones abilities and ask for help.

dan, if you have skills that will help the program let the SM and CC know, even approach the SPL with this information. Maybe they don't know what you can do.

( I am the grubmaster, for the leaders and when we do Troop cooking)

Well thats my 2cents

YIS

jethehiker