[Jacksonville, FL] Area's top scouts honored for their dedicated effort

Area's top scouts honored for their dedicated effort

By Tracy Spengler

County Line correspondent

The past year was another successful one for Clay County's Boy Scouts, as 23 of them earned the rank of Eagle Scout, an honor that only 2 percent of scouts achieve.

Saturday at Orange Park United Methodist Church's Family Life Center marked the 20th anniversary of the annual Black Creek Eagle Scout Recognition Dinner.

"Each of these boys has gone through a difficult, long trail to become an Eagle," said Paul Cummins, chairman of district activities.

To earn the title of Eagle, each scout must complete a service project that benefits the community.

"I designed and built two sensory boards for the Light House Learning Center," said Brad Ford Patterson, who received his rank Oct. 15. "They consist of several different items with varying textures to help the children learn to identify between what is rough, smooth, etc."

One of the rules of the service project is scouts must raise all money for the materials they use through donations.

"I wrote a letter to Lowe's, and they donated about $150 in materials," he said. "The kids really enjoy the boards."

A senior at Orange Park High School and a member of Troop 25, Patterson plans to attend the University of North Florida this fall and work toward a degree in mechanical engineering.

"Being an Eagle Scout sets me apart from the business competition," he said.

This is not the first time Patterson's parents, Butch and Emily Patterson, have experienced the joy of watching their son be named an Eagle. Brad's older brother, Scott, earned the rank in 1994.

"I'm very proud of Brad," his father said. "It's hard not to be. It's pretty special to have two sons that are Eagle Scouts."

Joshua Westmoreland of Troop 424 has been a scout since second grade and earned his Eagle rank June 4.

Westmoreland's service project benefited many people in Orange Park and surrounding areas.

"I managed a canned food drive for the Clothes Closet," he said. "By the end [of the drive], we had 1,500 pounds of non-perishable food donated."

The 18-year-old Orange Park High senior plans to pursue a degree in computer repair from ITT Technical Institute after graduation.

The keynote speaker for the evening was Brian Sexton, who does radio play-by-play broadcasts of Jaguars football games. He became in Eagle Scout in 1984 and has been an active adult volunteer for the Boy Scouts of America in the River Bend District for the past several years.

"Scouting has put you on the right path," Sexton told scouts. "You know how to be successful, because you already are. While you all are individuals, you are part of something greater. You stand for principles, value and character."

Sexton, a Kansas University graduate, recognized the important role parents play in successful scouting.

"Nobody embodies commitment more than your mothers," he said. "She's the one person needed to earn the Eagle Scout award.

"You all are bound to give something back to scouting. If you can find a way to give back more than you received, you will have come full circle."

After being presented with a bronze eagle plaque, Sexton said, "It's my pleasure to be in a room with people who are going to do something with their lives."

Actually Clay county is Orange Park and not part of Jacksonville but we'll claim 'em anywho.

We have had Brian Sexton (the voice of the Jacksonville Jaguars) speak at our troop before on a few occasions. Anyone in the area that needs a keynote speaker be sure to give him a call, he is awesome and a big supporter.

Thanks for the story DD. I missed this one.

One of the little ironies of life is that, while BSA is regularly criticized in the national electronic media, local print media love to run these kinds of stories. It is up to the local scouters to call up the papers and tell them there is a story to report.

Congrats to all involved.