Print Resources for Troops

This is the start of what I hope will be a string of helpfull print resources for BSA scout Troops. Maybe next we could do the same for Cub Leaders.

I know I must sound like a commercial for the National Service Center, but I'm just a volunteer like I suppose most if not all of you are. I've been in unit scouting and unit support since the mid seventies and served in 4 councils. My experience has shown me that the best Scout programs are the ones that toe the national line. BSA (and by the way I refer to the BSA as thousands of talented , dedicated volunteers who have a handfull of professionals that help to implemnt our decisions), has put alot of time into developing the best youth program in the country.

I've had a very successful run as a unit leader and trainer and have a pretty good idea of what separates a Troop that Scouts and one that does stuff in a scout uniform.

Well Let's Get Started. When you add to this string please try to stay focused on legitimate scouting resources and not someone elses version of scouting.

I would recommend the following literature to all troops. To the right of each publication I name the people who need to be aware of the resource. In some cases you will need multiple copies. Do Not feel like you have to read every line before you begin. Some are resources that you can go to as the situation arises. However you need to know that the resources exist and you need them at hand.

Program Resources

Boy Scout Handbook--- SM, CC, All Scouts

Junior Leader Handbook---SM, all Junior Leaders

Scoutmaster Handbook---SM, CC

Troop Program Features 1,2, and 3--- SM, PLC

Troop Program Resources---SM, Asst. SM,PLC

District/Council Calendar---SM, SPL, CC

Administrative Resources

Troop Committee Guide---CC

Boy Scout Advancement Requirements---SM, Advancement Chair

Advancement Policies and Procedures--- SM, Advancement Chair

Guide to Safe Scouting--- ALL adult volunteers

Uniform Insignia Guide---SM, CC

Training Resources

MayI suggest that you call your local Training Team and make a deal with them. You will gather all your registered adults in the troop for 2-hrs and the trainer will come to your location and deliver the New Leader Essentials training to everyone. Then you arrange a Friday Night or Saturday Morning (we used a scout lock-in night) and have all the adults return for 3-hrs and the trainer delivers the Troop Committee Challenge.

Finally Get your SM and Asst.SM to Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training and Introduction to Outdoor Skills, ASAP.

You can have 100% of all your adults trained in under 6 months. Imagine the power of everyone understanding the program and gelling as a team as they learn together.

Wood Badge and JLT are icing on the cake and will only enhance the program. A LOT!

There are other excellent program literature but I'll Sign out and let others share.

What is the difference between Troop Program Features and Troop Program Resources?

I am a Webelos leader transtioning to a Troop (not sure yet of my role), and I have found the Scoutmaster handbook very valuable as a parent and leader. I would think assistant scoutmasters would benefit much from at least reading this book.

Glad to here you are making hte transiton. Be sure to make it to SM/Asst. SM Leader Specific training. There is a big difference between Adult run Cubbibg and Boy leadership in Boy Scouts.

'Troop Program Features' is a series of three, three ring bound manuals. each one contains 12 unique monthly themes for scout meetings. each theme has program ides and Troop Meeting agendas for a 4-week program. An ninvaluable tool for teaching and aiding the Patrol Leaders Council for program planning.

'Troop Program Resources' is a single product, also in 3-ring binder format that provides troop program highlights such as games, ceremonies, good turn projects, and commonly used forms. It also includes a CD of the entire manual contents so that you can easily print off copies at home. For instance you can print off the game section and give thhe copy to whichever Patrol is resonsiblee for this months games. or give the Cerenonies section to the Junior Leaders who are planning the next quarterly Court of Honor.

Happy Scouting

Another extremely useful print resource is the "Requirements" book. This book lists all the requirements for all ranks and merit badges, and many other awards. It does not cover high adventure awards available locally and I don't think it covers all the details of all the religious awards. Nevertheless I found this to be an indispensable resource. Whenever someone has a question about a merit badge you can look it up and see what is involved. Obviously this does not have any of the instructional content of the merit badge pamphlets, but it does allow you to assess what is involved in any badge.

This used to be published every two years. More recently there was one published for 2000 and one for 2001. Unfortunately our council does not have the 2002 edition in yet. No scoutmaster or advancement chair should be without this.