Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9231 topics in this forum

• 8 replies
    • 16 replies
    • 5 replies
  1. How many adults 1 2 3 4 5

• 62 replies
    • 2.8k views
    • 11 replies
    • 39 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 7 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 1.1k views
  2. Camp Box Plans

• 3 replies
  3. Recruiting 1 2

• 16 replies
    • 5 replies
  4. Major Overhaul

• 2 replies
  5. Siblings on Outings

• 10 replies
    • 1.9k views
    • 46 replies
    • 2.8k views
    • 42 replies
    • 2.2k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• I have to laugh at some naïveté amongst the local councils When the tort lawyers finish with the National Council, they will rank order the local councils from richest to poorest. They’re going to come after the richest councils, and they will do their damndest to break any covenants on gifts that they can.    Mark my words. 
    • I agree that BSA's model is not much better or worse than other youth organizations at this time.  However, times have changed and I expect many youth serving organizations are going to have to evaluate their policies.  Why?  Insurance coverage.  Insurance companies will see the billions of dollars from the BSA lawsuit and increase their rigor when insuring youth organizations. One example form below.  This is from an insurance company to buy sex abuse insurance for your organization.  You can see in their questionnaire, they ask for details on how you vet volunteers.  BSA does not do (picture IDs, personal interviews, personal references checked (we list them, how often checked), 5 years of employment history checked).  In fact, for volunteers, we only tick off 1 of the boxes listed.  Then look at background checks ... I don't think any one of us has been fingerprinted.   https://www.greatamericaninsurancegroup.com/docs/default-source/specialty-human-services/abuse.pdf?sfvrsn=b79271b1_4 So, I expect the BSA bankruptcy to have a major impact on all youth organizations.  Organizations will have a choice going forward. Drop their youth programming (see NMRA (https://www.nmra.org/nmra-risk-persons-policy).  Greatly increase their rigor on adding employees & volunteers, likely enforced through insurance company contracts Go without insurance (typically no assets, small groups) BSA's current model of having a CO sign off on volunteers is likely going to be questioned by their insurance companies going forward (and COs as well).  Someone will need to vet, interview, call references, etc.      
    • The provisions you noted seem rather squishy. Enough to bring the CO into the liability tent, but by no means enough to allow the insurers to wash their hands of policy obligation or, of course, give the BSA wiggle room against their own negligence. I'm just trying to cipher out this relatively new terrain (for me). Didn't realize the CO is charged with "conducting" the train. Huh. Quite a layer cake of liability. Plenty of pieces to go around, me thinks.  The Chartered Organization agrees to: … • Conduct the Scouting program consistent with BSA rules, regulations, and policies. • Assure that adults selected as unit leaders are suitable by, at a minimum, having the appropriate leaders of the Chartered Organization review and sign each application
    • Except that the book group does not have access to young children is not based on a binding contract/charter that requires the minister ensure certain oversight and standards are observed
    • This is a good point. The book group at our church operates in a very similar way. The minister knows about it, knows who leads it, but beyond that, it has been "chartered" and it off and does it thing. The "chair" of the book group is known to the minister if there was an issue. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)