I am looking for some good ideas for a survival camporee for boy scouts. Something that will pretty much use their skills from Tenderfoot through First Class. What I am looking for is someone who has done this....some of the logistics, station activities, I'm looking to possibly have all scouts bring in just what they can carry in their pack...what do you think the boys would like? A Baen-Powell survival...fun.

Eagle Foot

Sounds great. I havent run survival training for more than my Troop but have run stands at regional camps. Also teach the subject to adults. Real survival work can be very hard on the environment and on people. So pls excuse a few questions.

How many Scouts attending?

What weather conditions are you expecting (season)?

How many wilderness survival instructors do you have available?

We've found in working this with the younger guys that to navigate over a course, (hiding pieces of dinner at the check points of course) setting up tarp shelters, building a fire with 2 matches or whatever, cooking dinner without utensils (silver turtles are pretty easy) pretty much fills up their day.

You might want to kinda go easy on foraging for natural foods - you'll need some expertise to really get anything across that will stick - fishing might be fun though

Having your older guys put together some higher-level static displays can be pretty satisfying as well - remember that you don't have to do it all on one trip! This is a great activity for all concerned; let your boys plan this and execute it their way

BTW we usually do this after the first frost; keeps the bugs to a minimum and gets them to bed a little sooner as well.

Have fun!

(This message has been edited by buffalo2)

Let me clarify more---Survival techniques not just survival in the woods, more along the lines of what can be done with some practical. Im looking for some of you who may have put something together like this in the past. I am not looking for the boys to pick berrys, set snares, trap wild animals, or set up a bird net for tonights meal. Im looking for information that can be of the same mind with mine.

You are right buffalo2; I want stations set up, that the scouts can navigate too. Get started at night with a compass coordinate to go to and set up their camps as patrols.

Each group given a specfic coordinate, which will have another coordinate for the next day leading them to a station, then another to the next. The scouts will be given food at check in...or they bring what they can carry: Sat am, Sat noon, Sat pm, Sun am.

Lets say twelve stationsI suppose there will be twelve groups? I dont know.

Stations: 1)Lost 2)Shelter 3)Friendly Fires 4) Signaling for Rescue 5) Signals for direction 6)Finding water 7) Food 8) First aid in the wilderness 9) Survival use of plants 10)Finding your way 11) Spiritual survival checklist 12) 24 hour ready pack checklist.

Looking at covering wilderness survival MB RQMTS covered. BSA Rank requirement covered.

If fishing is possible catching some fish, preparing and showing evidence you cooked and ate themshould be worth some mighty fine bonus points. I want them to have fun and pick up a few things.

Thanks Eagle Foot

How about giving them a packing list of seemingly unrelated items that a camper would have with them and then situations they must problem solve using only the items brought with them.

For instance with a personal sewing kit and a walking stick they should be able to fashion fishing pole and discover some natural bait. (catching a fish could be bonus points.) Did they think of using their mirror to send a message for help or did they fashion semaphore flags with their bandanas? Can they start a fire and boil a cup of water or cook a utensiless meal with what they brought? Can they repair a torn poncho or fashion a new one? Can they find a way to transport across a narrow ravine? Can they build a small animal trap? Can they start a fire without matches? Build a shelter from their surroundings?

Just a few things to challenge them.

Bob White

With my adult cse I provide a hessian sack (Potatoe bag) for a backpack and mattress (with grass inserted). I also provide one peice of twine about 6 feet long. Backpacks and sleeping bags are not allowed. Nor is food. They can bring a blanket.

Food I supply. 1 imitation army survival ration and 1 imitation natural forage, frozen whole fish, green prawns, celery, potatoe, sunflower seeds, a honey packet from a cafe, a pepper satchet, some nuts.

This requires them to:

improvise a pack and I demo a couple of methods.

get hungry - often a first experience

eat strange food because thats what they will get if any at all

cook without utensils - aluminium foil I provide

improvise a sleeping bag - I demo folding the blanket properly

the string is used to build a shelter with a mate

I give out very little info prior to simulate the uncertainty of survival situations.

We do smoke beacons from natural materials and I demo commercial flares and smoke. Just let aviation and police know prior.

They can make their own maps - provide grid paper and have them measure their paces over a 100 yard line through the bush. With compass bearings and pacing they can draw their own map. Explain reference points before they start.

Get them to make a ground to air rescue signal. Just do circles or nike ticks no real ones obviously. Reward good efforts by dropping luxury items.

builders plastic can help with time and impact on environment when building a shelter.

making rope / string from grass is a good activity. Helps build the shelter.

Giving them a bucket of tap water poluted with a spade full of dirt and having them clarify through an old shirt sleeve etc and then purifying is a good water resupply. Some concerns about iodine on immature kidnays but only with prolonged use. Puritabs are better than potassium permanganate but my Scouts have done both. Boiling is best if time allows for processing enough for all.

I suggest revising leadership as group stresses are recognised as big problems in survival research.

Some good ideas flying around here... Always wanted to convert a day hike into an emergency situation with an overnight stay using what's in your daypack but can't quite make it real enough without scaring the pants off the younger ones?

Not Wilderness Survival per se but uses lots of those elements

Buffalo 2 - arrange the parents to be briefed in secret and then do an impossible day hike that culminates in a night location from which you can get cell phone reception.

That way the Scouts will know that mum and dad will not panic and that the extra miles will get done the next day.

Make sure that PLś are ready to be cheerful and positive aboutthe change in plans. Any parent who doesn like the plan wont send their boy along.

Now can parents keep secrets?