What Makes Scouting Great ?

When we take a look at the Big Picture, and see how much good Scouts and Scouting has done and is doing. I, at the risk of being a little smug. Think that we do an outstanding job.

Somehow, someway this organization has managed to cross the lines and even in this, at times hostile political climate, it continues to work towards our mission.

If you had to make a list of "What Makes Scouting Great ?"

What would you put on the list?

Cub Scouts - family activities

Boy Scouts - leadership/independence training in a safe environment (zounds, where are character, citizenship & fitness?)

Girl Scouts - self awareness, confidence

Scouters - joys of volunteering & working with youth

It's obvious to anyone who has followed this board for a while that we deliver the program in a vast number of ways. Each of us does our best, but we deliver the program each in different a manner.

The best part of Scouting to me is that each and everyone one of us, regardless of how "accurately" we follow the program, do a tremendous service for an important segment of our American Citezenry: Male youth.

Thanks for the Scouting program, and thank you to every one of you for what you do.

Mark

What makes scouting great? lets see now

Its the combination of a seemingly disparate number of adults and youth who while having many differences, all have the same Ideals

Its breaking up the Units into small cohesive teams, in Cubs its dens, in Boy Scouts its Patrols and in Venturing its Crews and in Varisty they are called Teams (imagine that !!!)

In any of the progams its the use of the Outdoors as the primary tool to teach about self confidence, life skills and the majesty of the Lord

Its the Advancement system that rewards youth with tangible proof and recognition before peers and family of attaining specified goals.

Its the Personal Growth that both youth and adults can see in themselves and others by association to the program. Accomplishing tasks thought impossible before, almost become routine.

For the youth its the Adult Association, being with role models and finding out about the world from experienced hands. And the adults benefit from the youth as well, as is often said, "hey the kids keep me young"

Its the Leadership Development, the ability of the youth to chart their own course, to have a say in what gets done, where they go and how well it turns out. Ideally, they just dont have a say, they do it all and can translate that experience to other aspects of their life.

We wear a Uniform. and although under attack for quality and cost, (even by moi) that uniform is known and respected throughout the country, as attested to by several forum membes

For all these reasons, and lastly because its just plain FUN! Scouting, as Tony the Tiger might say "IS GRRRRRRRREEEEEAAAAAAAATTTTTTT,

BTW Mark, those of us active in the Venture Program would like to think we are also making a difference in the lives of a few female youth as well. ;)

Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obediant, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, reverent . . . A SCOUT IS.

I believe it is our core values that make us great. The rest is an important part of the means to a beginning.

DS

PS, by DS -- and the badges are cool too! :)

Gosh, I don't know if I could possibly make such a list. There's few things about Scouting that I list as "not" great...except, perhaps, the 1 hour a week thing...

I'll give you a hint on why I think we all enjoy it so, though. We wanna be kids again doing the things the kids do. And sometimes, we adults can be more like kids than kids...ain't it great? Scouting is great for that. I never felt out of place letting the kid in me "out for a while" (on a tether) when outdoors with the troop.

The trouble with that whole thing was that I couldn't allow myself to look "too" much like a kid...in front of the kids.

A friend of mine used to put it quite succinctly. When looking at Scouting from the adult leader point of view...he always joked that, "This Scouting thing wouldn't be all that bad...if it weren't for all these darned kids!!"

God, we loved being out in the woods. We could belch with impunity. Of course, that was after the kids were fast asleep.......

I'll stick with my first answer as the base answer . . .

I'll echo Bob White's.

However, I think I'll enhance the part about the volunteers. My version of that part would read . . .

The dedication to the ideals of scouting and local traditions carried forth by the selected volunteers at all levels, unit, district, council, regional, national (in decreasing order of importance.)

I'm not putting words in Bob's mouth. Never underestimate -- or overestimate how important you are in Scouting. It will determine itself.

DS(This message has been edited by dsteele)

I'll add one more.

Kudos to the parents of scouts, who want their children to have the values of this program and make an awful lot of personal sacrifices so that their children have a strong foundation of personal values.

bottom up leadership.

maximum responsibility at the minimum age

trusting young people to get it right based on their training

adult supervision from a distance

mistakes are okay (desirable even)

a brilliant award scheme that challenges at all ages and levels of competency

recognition and a version of rites of passage

Catching that First Expression. You all know what I'm talking about.

That First Expression when a Scout or Venturer is working on a certain skill like lashings or knot tying or swimming or any number of scout skills. That look of concentration, frustration and determination, not giving up and when they finally get it. Their countenance changes. Their facial muscles relax, the corners of their mouths turn upward to a curt smile and then to a full smile. Simultaneously, their eyes change from a squint to a more open saucer look of amazement. It's that First Expression of achieving something on their own. Then they start shouting to their scout friends "I did it, I did it . . .".

That First Expression of Success on a Scout or Venturer is Priceless. And that moment in their life, when Scouting turns from a Game to a Lifestyle.

The Scouting Values,

The Volunteers who give their time to the program,

The Professionals who help support the Volunteers,

The Parents for believing in the Scouting Movement, and the

Scouting Youth, who always remind me that I'm not to old to be a Kid.

Have Fun,

Matua

I love everything about it, but nothing brings greater satisfaction to me as a mom than when I see my oldest son (who never seemed motivated by much of anything) suddenly growing in confidence and excited about what he's doing. I know he's in a great environment, so it's a win-win situation for me. The follower is also becoming a leader, and he's only 11 :) When I see my younger son receive his awards in Cubs--the smile couldn't be bigger. Better yet is when he has learned something and is excited about sharing it with his fellow Cubs, and when he helps out someone else in the den. He's a fast learner, and he is learning to slow down and be more humble in serving his friends rather than just playing with them. For me as a leader, it is the opportunity to help other boys to grow in confidence as the try new things in a safe environment, free of ridicule and the fear of failure. Goofs are just an opportunity to try again anyway :) Maybe even to improve on the method that they are using.

The other thing that's super is that in the Pack and in the Troop, the family is all involved. My husband is a MBC, and he'll begin training for ASM, and he goes on outings with our older son every month. The great thing about this is that I'm a stay-at-home mom, and that used to be my "job". Now they get to do the "guy thing" :) With the Troop, I'm just on the Committee, very much behind the scenes. In Cubs, I'm the Assistant Cubmaster, filling several roles, and loving it all. Cubs is for all the family, and I love the gatherings. And the baby, though she's too little and the wrong gender to be part of the BSA, she's been warmly welcomed to everything. And her Li'l Scouting Buddy hat (to keep her from swiping the boys' scout hats) is a hit with the boys. Family fun--can't beat it. Families working together--better still :) We didn't work together before becoming part of Scouting. ~Laurie