Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9226 topics in this forum

• 3 replies
    • 19 replies
    • 1.5k views
  1. Totin Chip Approval

• 5 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 31 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 21 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 3 replies
  2. Troop Committee Question

• 4 replies
  3. Scout-O-Rama

• 3 replies
  4. Lashing cord or rope

• 6 replies
    • 31 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 7 replies
    • 25 replies
    • 1.6k views
  5. Advice

• 1 reply
  6. Incentives

• 1 reply
    • 13 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• So, I think the best way to implement your ticket is to lean into the patrol method and MB counseling. How about this for a goal: Develop and market patrol-oriented MB instruction. Develop an invite along the lines of “Mr/Miss Leader of the —— Patrol, You and the youth you lead are invited to schedule a weekend or set of evenings for my —— MB challenge.” Promote your program to the troop(s) you serve. In other words, think of the MB’s you teach. Go over the requirements. Identify those that might best be performed as a patrol activity — especially if there is a convenient resource in your community where that activity could be done. Explain that you will only handle one patrol at a time. Ideally, there will be one patrol who will take the bait. But, if not, at least scouts will have met one adult who takes them as a patrol seriously.
    • Hmm, as a former coach, I had to deal with more abuse than in scouting. You folks are thinking sexual abuse, but I think in the context of adult power over the youth. I have seen a lot of abuse, or near abuse, when coaches loose their temper at the players, But sometime flare ups are at each other, which is scary in of itself for youth. My older son quit soccer from two coaches of apposing teams got into a fist fight. And, this was in front of other parents. And it may not even be tempers, but adults applying their power on the players by just yelling to get them to perform certain actions for the sport.  The most troubling abuse case I had to personally deal with in the BSA was the adult who last his temper at a scout and physically hit him. Not in a physically harmful way, but very mentality upsetting for the scout and those around him. That adult was asked to leave, but it had nothing to do with sex. I don't know, seems the discussions here are worst case scenarios of rare and unlikely acts from adults ignoring the more common likely acts.  Barry  
    • I would suggest that an intransigent attitude has nothing to do with tenure. I’ve seen this with leaders who’ve only had a couple of years under their belts and their kids are still in their unit.
    • Perhaps baseball has changed over the years.   Security cameras ... I've never seen surveillance cameras as standard fair on the fields.  Maybe when covering a large area like 5+ baseball fields, but never focused useful cameras. Out of public view ... 90% is on the field, but groups I was part of (35+ years ago) did regularly have pizza meetings, gatherings at houses, stopping by the coaches house, etc.  .. Heck, it was always fun to bike to the coaches house to visit. Away overnight ... Sports have "traveling leagues".  Many are overnights.  Many are just day trips that take an hour+ to drive.  Even non-traveling leagues can still have regular trips.   Thinking sports is so different is not really true. Yes BSA has more opportunities, but sports have other risk modes ... such as large locker rooms with no adult restrictions ... yet 17,000 assaults over four years.    You might be comparing Little League which is more like Cub Scouts with parents and lots of public view.  Where as middle school and high school sports are more like Scouts USA.  At that age, there are significant risks introduced in sports similar to being introduced in scouts.
    • Somewhere above I commented that a scout leader staying on after their scout has moved on could be good or bad. If your Pack/Troop has a dedicated leader who is passionate about scouting, that's fantastic. Keep them around, learn from them & absorb some of that passion. But have a succession plan. I have experience with organizations with "entrenched" leadership where the "my way or the highway" or "that's the way we've always done it" mentality is rampant.
  • Who's Online (See full list)