Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8964 topics in this forum

• 5 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 4 replies
  1. Job Descriptions

• 6 replies
    • 5 replies
  2. scoutmaster

• 2 replies
  3. Stubborn SM

• 13 replies
  4. Scouting Web sites

• 1 reply
    • 19 replies
  5. Camping MB

• 17 replies
  6. online resource

• 1 reply
    • 31 replies
  7. Funeral attire

• 7 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• I certainly agree that the mindset is wrong at national and in the council staffs.  It feels to me like they think of units and unit volunteers as entities to managed.  Your YPT percentage isn't 100%, you're not advancing enough, you're not recruiting enough.  I believe it would do the BSA well to adopt much more of a service mentality than a management mentality. Yet, on this specific YPT issue I can't get too worked up.  I too have chased volunteers to get this done.  It's a royal pain.  The BSA could simplify this immensely by adopting a policy of: - YPT certification is good for 27 months - YPT must be current for the entire duration of your registration.   Done - problem solved. Regardless - we volunteers complain way too much about YPT.  My goodness, the BSA is on the verge of bankruptcy because prior leaders abused youth.  We're complaining because we might have to take it once a year? That's 90 minutes a year to reinforce the YPT rules.  That's not such a big imposition.
    • You're right, it doesn't. National already is making it hard enough to try and keep volunteers engaged. It is frustrating though to see that many Councils make it even harder for the unit volunteers to do the work of Scouting that they so enjoy.  We are generally working a full time job & trying to fulfill regular family obligations along with trying to keep up with the ever changing requirements to keep volunteering.  I'm also the one trying to keep other leaders up to date on their 2 year renewal for YPT, along with other training updates. Then to throw in running interference between National raising the fees after we've collected dues, it just really gets tiring trying to keep up and still enjoy Scouting. I can't imagine the grief I'd get from adults if I had to tell them that their YPT was only good for a year, even though their certificate says otherwise.
    • Once upon a time in Sea Scouts at least, there was a program for Sea Scouts who were not Boy Scouts to earn both Quartermaster and Eagle. In fact I have seen Eagle badges with the white and navy background for Sea Scouts to wear.
    • This is a significant misapplication of that verse. Jesus is not telling us that social judgement cannot be applied by the sinful.  The verse is in context of a situation manufactured to trap Jesus in conflict with either Jewish or Roman law (because the laws themselves conflicted).   We can certainly discuss if this man should continue to be a BSA leader or how we believe the justice system should act.  We are not the ones administering judgement here so no one is actually casting stones. Don't water down that analogy.  Jesus didn't mean figurative stones.  The men in that story were trying to get Jesus to say that the woman should be stoned to death.  
    • @awanatech, conflating YP (which is a modification of aldult association) with advancement gets us nowhere.  Better to just say local impositions that are neither important to National nor mandated by the state make it hard for volunteers to do their job well.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online