Not growing up in this area, I have a little bit of a hard time with Fund Raising.

Back in England, we had Troop Fund Raising Events. All the money went to buy equipment and that sort of thing.

The boys had a camp bank account.

They knew how much summer camp was going to cost and had the oppertunity of paying in as much or as little as they wanted each week before the Troop meeting. Some parents paid something every week others didn't pay anything till the due date.

Just before camp we gave each boy a check book. He then gave part or all of his camp money to the camp bank.

While at camp the Bank was open at set times and he could write a check to get his money out.

It was a small pain, but it saved having to hear"I lost all my money"

We seem to have all these fund raising events, and the money goes into each boys account.

Our Council Camp costs $150.00 For the week, that is about $3.00 a week.

Ok, so we have the big events but even the Jamboree at say $1000.00 is approx 100 weeks away, so $15.00 a week covers that cost and summer camp.

I have said that I will pay half, my son has to pay the other half $7.50 a week.

Why don't we see more camp banks.

As an added benifit it does tend to keep boys from leaving. Of course if they do they get 100% of what they paid in, It is their money.

Many units (not our troop) maintain accounts for their youth members of funds earned through fund raising activities. These funds can be applied to any purpose prescribed by the committee. This does not entail separate checking accounts. The funds are typically co mingled with other unit funds. It is just a set of sub accounts tracking earnings and withdrawals. The idea of having boys write a "check" on the account as part of education in the use of monies is an interesting concept. Mainly this is a lot of extra work for the treasurer of the unit. Personally I think it is a good idea.

There are other issues that arise as well.

Everything is program.

If A scout is thrifty includes learning about cheques and regular deposits then Eamonn is on the money (bad pun).

The program objective outrides the pain in paperwork and monitoring scribes etc.

On the other hand if you want Scouts to learn to handle cash without blowing it on day one then another method would be needed to suit the program.

Administrative ease for adults or SPLs is not a program objective.