Need help with Eagle Project construction

My son is contemplating two ideas for the local zoo for his Eagle project.

One is to construct a "beaver activity" area, where some trees from the river with beaver gnawings would be uprooted or cut and transplanted or set in concrete, and other trees from the immediate area would be cut and shaped to appear as if they were subject to beaver activity. He's willing to do this, but he's more interested in the second idea.

The second idea is to construct a reverse periscope so that patrons of the zoo can look down from the deck into the area below the deck where the pond is, so they can look at the fish hiding from the mid-day sun. This would need to run from the deck rail height to a distance of about 2 or 2-1/2 feet below the deck into the water. It needs to be fairly sturdy so it will last for several years, and should look good for most of its use life.

Does anyone have workable ideas on how to construct such an periscope apparatus?

Sounds like an interesting project, but shouldn't your son be asking the questions? After all isn't this a part of the planning he should be doing to fulfill the requirements of the project?

Bob White

yes, I agree. He was hurt yesterday & had to have some stitches in his left hand, so he's not typing well at the moment. He's been here watching as I type, sort of supervising and telling me what to ask, and he approved the message before it was sent.

Both ideas sound great. The first one seems to provide a greater general benefit to the patrons, though. The periscope design will involve optical surfaces precisely mounted in a weatherproof housing. This apparatus must then be mounted to existing hardware. I assume the zoo has been approached with both the designs for their approval? Personally, I see more troop (boy) involvement with the first idea.

The kid says - I'm just getting started on this, considering options. I was going to think about the choices and write down ideas while I'm away at summer camp next week so I can get some help on how to present it.

My first appointment with the zoo director was last night. It was the first time I heard what she wanted done. Those were the two ideas she had. Mom took a few notes for me while we went on a tour of the place. I sorta want to get it done before school starts so I can give it time without too many other things going on.

We didn't have any idea how to do the periscope thing, which is what I'd really like to do. Mom suggested last night that I could do the beaver-chewed tree area for my Project, to get the service project done and get help from the guys in the troop, and then after the pressure to do the Eagle project is over, maybe I could do the periscope later for the fun of figuring it out and seeing how it works.

The tree idea was for a tiny area, and it isn't in a location where the patrons can go right up to it and get a close look. She showed us a spot about 3 by 5 feet, about 5 to 10 feet from the tracks of the mini-train, and about 30 or 40 yards away from the zoo's fenced enclosure. It's a drive-by kind of thing, not hands-on or close-up. It also didn't seem like it was big enough to have a bunch of guys helping. I guess I could make it a little bigger to create more work and make it more visible from the train.

My stepdad says he'll give me construction help, show me how to do stuff for either project, like how to mix concrete, how to set posts and brackets. He can help me figure out how deep to dig for the trees down by the river so we can get them cut off with enough tree left to set in concrete at the other location. He'll also run power equipment for me if I need it.