? for Tennessee friends

My family and I are planning to head out your way (from Ill.) to visit Graceland (sigh), and the Hermatige (I know what a combination lol). What else is a must see for my family? I have 2 boys ages 14 & 10. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sparkie

P.S. We are going to take a pass on Opryland this trip.

My wife and I are actually transplants from the Nashville area. A few of my faves that might appeal to scouting types (in no particular order) ...

1. Shiloh (Memphis area), Fort Donelson or Stones River (Nashville area) Civil War Battlefields. Shiloh is biggest and my personal fave.

2. Both cities have AAA baseball. Memphis has a new park that's only a couple of years old.

3. The elevator riding ducks at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis, followed by dry ribs at The Rendezvous.

4. Jack Daniels Distillery tour in Lynchburg, TN.

5. The Opryland amusement park is no more, but the Opryland Hotel is colossal and worth a visit.

6. A riverboat or water taxi ride along the Mississippi or Cumberland Rivers.

Hope these help ...

Mempis has Chucalissa Indian Village (901) 785-3160, - Pink Palace Museum, Sharpe Planetarium, Imax Theater (901) 320-6320 - Memphis Zoo just got two pandas YaYa and LeLe (901) 276-wild - and there is the Smokey Mountains in East Tenn, if you go that far Cades Cove is a must. IF you need more let me know approx. when your visit will be and I will find out whats going on in town. Arkansa has some of the best trout fishing in the world about two hours from Memphis. Graceland is not in the best part of Town but it is ok during the day light. Enjoy: Clay

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you both for your wonderful suggestions!!!

We just came back from our 6 day whirlwind trip, and boy did we do alot! Although we were'nt able to do everything :( .

In case your interested, here's what we were able to do...

Day 1 - drove from Chgo to Evansville, Ind.

Day 2 - made it to the Hermitage by 1:30 pm. I loved the tour, although they rushed us through. I especially liked viewing the archeological digs, and seeing the new/old carriage route they think they found.

Day 3 - visited the state capitol, then drove to Jack Daniels Distillery, and stopped by the Stone River Battlefield/Cemetary along the way. Continuted on to Florence Ala. to rest for the nite.

Day 4 - made it to Graceland :) . Saw the Peabody ducks at 5 pm, ate at the Rendeveoux (yikes, those ribs were spicy!!), and then visited Beale St. :) .

Day 5 - arrived in St. Louis in time to catch a 6 pm boat ride on the Mississippi, and then watch a beautiful sunset from atop the arch at 7:45 :) .

Day 6 - onto Springfield, IL to visit our own capital :) WOW, vist Lincolns house, onto his tomb, and then to the New Salem settlement. Arrived safely home at 8:30 :).

Now i have to get ready for summercamp which is next week. It will be nice to slow down for awhile :).

Thanks again for all your help!

Sparkie

P.S. Sorry i missed Opryland hotel and Shiloh, i guess we'll have to go back :).