Are your Resident Camps/Summer Camps opening?

On 5/23/2020 at 10:46 PM, swilliams said:

We’re PPC as well. SO disappointed about Sabattis. We signed up for Winnebago instead, though we may change our minds, given the ‘no waterfront’ issue. If they can’t swim, I doubt they’ll be allowed to use the shooting range, zip lines, or other shared equipment. 

At least they can still camp with their friends. 

Were you able to listen to the leader meeting last week? Zip line is a go, boating is approved and they believe they will have swimming approved as well. Shotgun approved. Working on rifle and archery. They seem confident they will have program areas open. No MB's, but they plan on giving a list of which merit badges the activities the scouts do can be applied to. Everything is done with your own troop/pod (CDC term)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe the lack of mBs and no dining halls will allow scouts to have a real summer camp as described by BP instead of simply "living under canvas".

Our camps have been canceled for all the the lower penninsula of Michigan for the summer and no in person meetings/activities until further notice. On a different but related note, 2 dams in mid

On 5/30/2020 at 11:38 PM, karunamom3 said:

Were you able to listen to the leader meeting last week? Zip line is a go, boating is approved and they believe they will have swimming approved as well. Shotgun approved. Working on rifle and archery. They seem confident they will have program areas open. No MB's, but they plan on giving a list of which merit badges the activities the scouts do can be applied to. Everything is done with your own troop/pod (CDC term)

Just watched a town hall with PPC.  Winnebago is NOT a go at this point.  State hasn't okayed overnight camps.

I was surprised.   Our Troop presented the option as though it were definitely happening.

Edited by swilliams
12 hours ago, swilliams said:

Just watched a town hall with PPC.  Winnebago is NOT a go at this point.  State hasn't okayed overnight camps.

I was surprised.   Our Troop presented the option as though it were definitely happening.

At the camp meeting for unit leaders they did make it sound like it was a go, but added at the end that still needs state approval. Yesterdays meeting had a different vibe, but they are still planning on it happening. We are a unit that was already scheduled to go there so we are still moving forward with fingers crossed.

June 1, 2020 from and about Orange County Council (CA)

Update #8 on COVID-19 and its Impact on Program Delivery

...Summer Adventures Begin July 6th

We are thrilled to finally announce that enrollment for summer programs at Newport Sea Base and the Irvine Ranch Outdoor Education Center will be opening this week. It has been a challenging few months for all, and without a doubt there will be tough times for the foreseeable future. That is why we have worked hard to prepare programs and redesign curriculum in order to offer the opportunity for youth to regain some normalcy in their lives, like camp, even if it is a bit different this summer.

We are preparing these properties and staff to deliver an outstanding summer program. It will however look very different than past summers. Newport Sea Base and the Irvine Ranch Outdoor Education Center will reopen to the public on Monday, July 6 with summer day programs specially created for elementary age (Cub Scouts) and middle and high school age (Scouts BSA and Venturing) campers. The programs running Monday through Friday or consecutive Saturdays and/or Sundays will follow a strict set of enhanced safety protocols developed with guidance from the CDC, ACA, health departments, and the Boy Scouts of America.

A major change in this summer program, besides maximum class sizes of ten or less, is the number of classes/tracks a participant can take per week. In order to reduce the potential spread of COVID-19 in our camp setting, we must limit interactions. This means participants can take only one class/track per week.  We have done our best to create half-day or full-day programs that are attractive to our general community youth as well as Scouting youth. These program tracks are predesignated and cannot be changed.  If there are multiple tracks that you would love to take, it will happen over multiple weeks. We hope you understand. Further information on these exciting programs including virtual camps will be released later this week with enrollment opening for all programs no later than Monday June 8.

Overnight programs at the Irvine Ranch Outdoor Education Center remain closed and we hope to resume these in late August.

The first programs at Oso Lake Scout Camp to reopen will likely be a family-based camping supported by our volunteer Campmaster Corps. Enrollment for this program should open in the coming weeks.

Schoepe Scout Reservation at Lost Valley, including Scouts BSA summer camp, remains closed through July 15. This pains us as much as it does you. If your unit was scheduled to attend Lost Valley in a cancelled week you have several options. Troops will have the option to transfer to a later week at Lost Valley, transfer funds on an individual basis to Newport Sea Base or Irvine Ranch Outdoor Education Center summer programs , transfer their unit deposits to Lost Valley 2021, or receive a full refund for all monies not transferred. The Lost Valley staff will reach out to each unit to coordinate this process...

More at source link:

https://www.ocbsa.org/news/coronavirus/

Edited by RememberSchiff
inserted camp links
  • Like 1

Rumor is Woodruff Scout Reservation for Atlanta Area Council will not operate this summer.  Neither is Bert Adams.  No formal announcement yet, but the council has not disseminated the National fee increase yet, so obviously communication with the minions and actual customers they are supposed too serve (Scouts and Leaders) is not a high priority

June 2,

Grand Teton Council (Idaho) Executive Board voted to suspend all resident camps and Cub Scout day camp operations.

The three camps that are closed are Krupp Scout Hollow, Island Park Scout Camp and Camp Little Lemhi. However, the camps will be available for individual Scout unit and family use.

The council will still be offering a Trail to Eagle merit badge program on a day-camp basis at Krupp Scout Hollow and whitewater high adventure programs at the Howard H. Dougherty Salmon River High Adventure Base.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/community/local-boy-scout-council-suspends-camp-operations-due-to-covid-19/article_e23ba319-252e-51bd-8c2b-055561cb239f.html

On 6/2/2020 at 9:11 AM, karunamom3 said:

At the camp meeting for unit leaders they did make it sound like it was a go, but added at the end that still needs state approval. Yesterdays meeting had a different vibe, but they are still planning on it happening. We are a unit that was already scheduled to go there so we are still moving forward with fingers crossed.

At our round table last night, two units said they are not going. That not only were the scouts less-than-thrilled with the proposed program, but that they didn’t think they could get dedicated adults to go. 

(By dedicated, they meant assigned to a pod for the entire week.)

A couple leaders questioned why we still aren’t allowed by council to have in-person meetings when the governor has OK’d gathering of 25. 

27 minutes ago, swilliams said:

At our round table last night, two units said they are not going. That not only were the scouts less-than-thrilled with the proposed program, but that they didn’t think they could get dedicated adults to go. 

A couple leaders questioned why we still aren’t allowed by council to have in-person meetings when the governor has OK’d gathering of 25. 

I spoke with the council camping director yesterday and yes it seems the new rule of leaders not splitting weeks is proving a hardship for some units. It is tough, but we are figuring it out.

Our scouts are excited to get back to basics and spend more time together as a unit instead of splitting off in every which way. (Units stay together in a 'pod' the whole week). Some are sad there will be no completed MBs, but at the same time are looking forward to an array of MBs being worked on. With blue cards handy and a list from camp/council detailing what skills go towards which MBs. For sure none of our scouts thought to do metalworking MB, but are now excited that they will be working with the camps forge toward metalworking, for example. Often how scouts feel depends on how the adults or SPL present the activity.

I dont think any of our parents would bring their kids out yet even if council said its ok. I believe nothing related to children's activities has been approved by the governor (NJ) yet. Day cares can open on the 8th and I believe sports/activities on the 22nd.

1 hour ago, swilliams said:

So so close! I like the idea of a pod deciding what they want to do together. How about, rather than an adult, pick one scout as the pod leader. Oh! And the scouts could vote on their pod leader. And if the scout struggles there could be a senior pod leader that could help him out. As for adults, maybe just a couple in camp would be needed for guidance. They could be called the pod master and assistant pod master.

Sarcasm aside, using the patrol method at summer camp could solve a lot of problems and be a lot of fun.

36 minutes ago, karunamom3 said:

Our scouts are excited to get back to basics and spend more time together as a unit instead of splitting off in every which way. (Units stay together in a 'pod' the whole week). Some are sad there will be no completed MBs, but at the same time are looking forward to an array of MBs being worked on. With blue cards handy and a list from camp/council detailing what skills go towards which MBs. For sure none of our scouts thought to do metalworking MB, but are now excited that they will be working with the camps forge toward metalworking, for example. Often how scouts feel depends on how the adults or SPL present the activity.

This is exactly the patrol method. I think it's how all summer camps should run.

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, swilliams said:

I assume this is adults? I don't think that limit applies to kids. We can't do any school or sports stuff at the moment either. As far as adults, most people I know aren't even doing work meetings in person. They are even zooming between offices in the same building lol.  

I hope that, beyond getting every city in the nation to police better, I'm hoping that these protests will show that large gatherings outside do not result in marked increases in transmission.

• Upvote 1

The next few weeks will be interesting. Our area (probably state) is almost back to normal. Little League Baseball at the nearby park is in full swing and businesses are almost back to normal. I don't know what Council is doing yet, but I can't see why meetings would be discouraged.

Barry

Here, swimming pools are open. ('Round Pittsburgh, kids will swim, and we got a lot of rivers that reap as well as any virus would.)

Seven Ranges in OH (which was our plan B) announced that it's closed.

I'd grumble, but the per-capita mortality in Sweden -- which set up no substantial precautions --- has been excessive.

On 6/4/2020 at 8:50 AM, karunamom3 said:

I spoke with the council camping director yesterday and yes it seems the new rule of leaders not splitting weeks is proving a hardship for some units. It is tough, but we are figuring it out.

I dont think any of our parents would bring their kids out yet even if council said its ok. I believe nothing related to children's activities has been approved by the governor (NJ) yet. Day cares can open on the 8th and I believe sports/activities on the 22nd.

Kind of confused... if the parents wouldn't bring their kids out, how are they okay with sending them to camp?  The virus isn't going to disappear in four more weeks.  Anyway, I'm still not convinced overnight camps are going to be open.  Murphy seems to be very hesitant to open things up.  I had hoped he'd have addressed outdoor pools by now.

I think half our parents, at a minimum, are ready to let their kids get together.  Recently, six scouts in our troop just happened to be doing their 15 mile hike in the same location at the same time.  (Something tells me they might coincidentally find themselves in the same location for their 20 mile.)  Then a seventh scout found out about it and has asked my son if our 'family' might be doing a shorter hike at some point in the next week.  His 'family' might just happen to be doing the same thing.

On 6/4/2020 at 9:28 AM, MattR said:

So so close! I like the idea of a pod deciding what they want to do together. How about, rather than an adult, pick one scout as the pod leader. Oh! And the scouts could vote on their pod leader. And if the scout struggles there could be a senior pod leader that could help him out. As for adults, maybe just a couple in camp would be needed for guidance. They could be called the pod master and assistant pod master.

Sarcasm aside, using the patrol method at summer camp could solve a lot of problems and be a lot of fun.

This is exactly the patrol method. I think it's how all summer camps should run.

🤣  This sounds very alien/Star Trek-y, lol.

• Upvote 1