Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9621 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 0 replies
    • 2.5k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 0 replies
    • 2.3k views
  1. Religious Awards

• 0 replies
    • 2k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• I'm not going to try and quote stuff here, but the gist of the survey mentioned may be correct, and the sex abuse settlement may be one of our crosses to bear (reputation?) ,but that is not why kids join Scouting.... Some sort of Scouting. Kids go to school usually because their parents want them to.  We (parents !) realize we want our future (kids!) to know stuff. How to read, how to write, how to , as my dad used to say "cipher" .  They stay in school, hopefully, because they (the kids ) come to LIKE learning, if it is done well by gifted, talented teachers.  It is a challenge to speak, spell, realize numbers can be fun....  The challenge is the thing, not merely the achievement, the "AHA" moment. But the certificate, the  little trophy does mean alot to the kid.  So to with Scouting, whether it be BSA, or GSUSA, or Royal Rangers, or BP Scouts,,,   The National policy makers have , indeed , lost track of  this. The kid doesn't join Cub Scouts because she/he wants to "learn leadership".  They convince his/her parents to let him/her join because it is seen as fun, an adventure .  The patches mark the path taken, but the kid now knows about rope and knots,  knows they can hike 3 miles, carry  a canteen and maybe even cook a meal (grilled cheese is a meal).  It cannot be about sitting down and discussing , describing,  stuff. It must be about DOING stuff, and therefore taking pride in that accomplishment.  Knowledge of Poison Ivy or the old stuff in that museum we visited (with buddies),  can lead to Philmont or the summer camp over there (at least).  That is where the Leadership stuff comes from.  To lead, one must first be somewhat confident in one's self.  AND be able to see the connections between the problem/task at hand and the solutions (AHA !) .  The national folks of , fifty, sixty  years ago who did not own up to the abuse claims must bear the responsibility of BSA's lose of reputation.  The camps sold are the sad result. Where do our Scouts go to learn , experience ?  The Army, Marine Corps should not be the first place to go to learn self responsibility and life skills.   The adult may realize  what the end result can be (leadership?  Cooperation? Building? Happy life? ) but the kid has not thought about that, Sheldon Cooper not withstanding.   Keep on keeping on, friends.....   
    • @Eagledad Would you agree that given the right messaging, this too presents an opportunity? The messaging would somehow convey to parents it's not only safe & welcome to drop-off your scout, but expected.  This inasmuch as it's the scouts' program.  As I recall in my Scoutmaster days it took half of my effort to corral parents and separate them from the scouts to give them space. Of course, such a program relies totally on the capabilities and goodwill of SMs, ASMs, & CMs.  But I'm thinking for the average parent Scouting should offer a relief from adult burnout.
    • I interviewed hundreds of scouts and parents. I narrowed the cause down to adult burnout. I can write paragraphs on how burnout drove out thousands of families, but the the BSA simply lost between 50 to 75 percent of their cub families by crossover.    Barry
    • Romans 3:21-28 21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. 27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. Because of what law? The law that requires works? No, because of the law that requires faith. 28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law. You realize you will always fall short. Good on you.  What is the remedy?  Grace.  Accept it, brother 😜  
    • I would suggest that it is a good deal of misinformation and a large dose of negativity by the rabid media.  Until we find a way to make it clearer how much good the program supports and can do, and get that in front of the people, it will stay hard.  Much of that goes right back to the loss of local news and neighborhood exposure.  We had our names in the local papers, and even photos.  We had little fear of people knowing we were Scouts, as the negative hype was yet to explode.  The issues were still there, but the societal responses were far less vituperative and most understood that was NOT the norm.  Scouting was simply an accepted part of the community by most, and while still targets for the "sissy" label or "goody-goody", it was not as nasty, and fewer others piled on.  Ironically, every time we have our youth out in public doing stuff we get adults and even some youth that thank us.  On occasion we have even gotten an interest in joining, though not usually followed up by them.  Small things could help, like schools NOT barring the Eagle and Gold Award graduation symbols, or even schools, as many once did, noting Scouting success in the schools.  We can do more, but we also have to try harder to overcome much of the hype still.  Meanwhile, as one local leader says, "get em out there!"
  • Who's Online (See full list)