Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9616 topics in this forum

1. Campfire Poems 1 2

• 16 replies
    • 2.6k views
  2. Ready for Boy Scouts

• 14 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 30 replies
    • 3.8k views
    • 7 replies
    • 1.2k views
  3. Cooking Merit Badge

• 2 replies
  4. Camping merit badge

• 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 19 replies
    • 2.1k views
    • 6 replies
    • 1.5k views
  5. Webelos Retention 1 2

• 18 replies
    • 2.4k views
  6. ASM duties

• 14 replies
    • 1.6k views
  7. Dedicating new flags

• 1 reply
    • 1.2k views
    • 9 replies
    • 1.3k views
  8. How to React? 1 2

• 15 replies
    • 1.8k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• We're straying a little but I'll bite on this one.  The internet thing is a big deal where I am at. There are parent/leader lounges at most of the camps in my state to allow remote work for parents. Last year it doubled the number of adults able to accompany my sons troop to camp; I agree that we need to keep the scouts off of that wifi, but we need amenities like this to keep some families in the scouting game so-to-speak.  Sports are a big deal in my area as well. Most families are delusional with these 4 season sports and the traveling/club leagues. Most varsity teams for any sport have a cap of about 20 players total. If you don't play varsity in HS it's very unlikely that a kid will make it onto a team in college, and then there's little to no chance of professional (or Olympic if your sport veers that direction). My sons unit lost a kid to baseball this Spring and it's a joke; the mom and dad are both around 5'6" and not fat, but clearly they have never had an athletic build. The dad was all like, we might be back, but we're setting him up for varsity in a few years, and then on to college ball; the delusion of these parents that don't understand the genetics aspect of high level sport play. I feel bad for the kid, unless he has some magical growth spurt that puts him 6-10 inches taller than both his parents they're building him up for a very big fall.  I think the new AOL program is going to fix some of these crossover problems. Several years ago the pack my family came out of started pushing Scouting Adventure super hard, first, and it has had much higher success in successfully crossing over AOLs to troops. The pack also started pushing multiple troop visits. The new AOL Bobcat adventure codifies those activities and establishes that troop visits start in September. Now that packs and troops are being told in doctrine that troop visits need to happen often and early I think we're going to see more AOLs crossover. This last minute go visit a troop in Feb-Mar crap has never been good.
    • There are a lot of possible "shooting" sports, some not so sporty, some just humor.  Shooting marbles, shooting pool, shooting baskets, and maybe even shooting mouths.  They all still have rules of sorts, though too often ignored in the broader world.  I suppose I just shot myself in the foot, as I am going too far afield.  😇
    • WOW.   I wish that would have been the case for friends of mine. One friend of mine had the cable line across the street from his house. His house was less than 100 feet from the poles they were using, and they would not connect him. Worse was the friend who, lived on a corner lot. because his physical address was on a street not in their service area, they would not connect him to the network despite the cable going through his side yard, and connecting neighbors on the street his address was not on.
    • I thought range and target sports better includes archery. I don’t see archery as a shooting sport. 
    • We are pretty remote. They paid a couple hundred thousand to run fiber optic under/above ground for about 3 miles. But I guess we're not that remote if we were able to get it. Just expensive! 
  • Who's Online (See full list)