Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
shortridge

New YPT: How to get people trained

Recommended Posts

One of the challenges my district is facing is getting our currently registered leaders to take the new YPT before the October 1 deadline. We don’t want anyone dropped or to have issues attending fall programs like Cub weekends, OA weekends, etc., let alone the eventual barriers to rechartering that will come up. It’s been a particular hurdle explaining to people who just took the old one last fall that they now have to do an all-new session.

What tactics and strategies have worked for y’all in convincing currently registered leaders to take an hour and knock it out and not wait until the last minute?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best strategy was to set up some workstations at a regular meeting so they could log on and go through the course. We have not done this with the new course, so I'm not sure how workable that strategy is.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received an email from our CC requesting adults come to our next committee meeting because a district rep would be going through the training first hand so that adults wouldn't need to go online.  I thought the whole point to having it online was for convenience but seems like a good idea if anyone showed up.  I had already done the online training and was not in attendance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shortridge said:

What tactics and strategies have worked for y’all in convincing currently registered leaders to take an hour and knock it out and not wait until the last minute?

Remember, these are the parents of the scouts in your troop. Reason has no place at the table. 3 weeks before it's due I'd start setting up lap tops at meetings and reiterating the consequences. If you talk about it every week from now till then you will just condition them to ignore you.

So, be prepared for the ensuing chaos 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thrifty said:

I received an email from our CC requesting adults come to our next committee meeting because a district rep would be going through the training first hand so that adults wouldn't need to go online.  I thought the whole point to having it online was for convenience but seems like a good idea if anyone showed up.  I had already done the online training and was not in attendance.

Perhaps those adults did not wish to register online to take the YPT course?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Perhaps those adults did not wish to register online to take the YPT course?

Perhaps but considering this was for adults that are already registered as leaders or committee, wouldn't they already have an online presence?  I don't know.  I have been registered online for a few years so I don't know what anyone else does but every committee member we have was requested to do online training last year so unless they didn't do it then, they should have a login i.d.  I think having training at the committee meeting is a fine solution and I hope it accomplished what it was supposed to.  I think it's ironic that adults that are scarce at troop or committee meetings would all of a sudden show up at a meeting to do training that they could have done at home but stay home when there are meetings when they should attend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 12:09 PM, thrifty said:

I received an email from our CC requesting adults come to our next committee meeting because a district rep would be going through the training first hand so that adults wouldn't need to go online.  I thought the whole point to having it online was for convenience but seems like a good idea if anyone showed up.  I had already done the online training and was not in attendance.

I've heard of other Units/ Districts having this type of group training.  How does that training then get credited to the individual leader's I.D. so that BSA knows that they did it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, awanatech said:

I've heard of other Units/ Districts having this type of group training.  How does that training then get credited to the individual leader's I.D. so that BSA knows that they did it. 

The course instructor turns in a training report with the names and unit # of the participant to the council registrar. This is basically what the online training does, but it consumes your time (setting up an account, logging in, printing certificates) instead of the council's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, awanatech said:

I've heard of other Units/ Districts having this type of group training.  How does that training then get credited to the individual leader's I.D. so that BSA knows that they did it. 

The trainers or your unit commissioner can enter the training online as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2018 at 7:39 AM, qwazse said:

The course instructor turns in a training report with the names and unit # of the participant to the council registrar. This is basically what the online training does, but it consumes your time (setting up an account, logging in, printing certificates) instead of the council's.

 

On 7/1/2018 at 7:58 AM, walk in the woods said:

The trainers or your unit commissioner can enter the training online as well.

Thanks, I did not know they could turn this in like that.  That would help in getting all of my leaders/ parents trained in YPT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually got myself certified to conduct in-person trainings myself at the Cub Scout level, so now I am qualified to teach leader specific training for Den Leaders, Cubmasters, and all committee positions (Chair, Pack Trainer, et cetera). During each training pass around a roll of everybody who is there, and then I submit that list to my local District Executive and District Commissioner over Training. They enter it in and bam - the training is listed as complete. 

Getting certified to do these wasn't hard either. I simply approached the DE and DC and explained that I am an educator who wanted to have a larger role in the Scouting community through training, and they got me cleared to conduct them whenever I wish. It makes things SO MUCH EASIER when I can invite new leaders to my home to get them trained instead of waiting/hoping they will eventually get it done on their own time online. In my experience, that rarely happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×