Sign in to follow this  
Rock Doc

YPT

Has anyone in Venturing completed the new YPT? I'm hearing that it's missing coed issues as well as older teen concerns. Seems like the one-size fits all may not adequately address the Venturing program...

I did - I don't recall that being covered.

Looking at the course numbers, I presume that more content is coming.

3 hours ago, Rock Doc said:

Has anyone in Venturing completed the new YPT? I'm hearing that it's missing coed issues as well as older teen concerns. Seems like the one-size fits all may not adequately address the Venturing program...

I have, and is missing coed training. I called National thinking I had taken the wrong course (it also has same number as Boy Scout YPT, Y01). But that was the correct course as it now covers all programs. I don’t think there are any additional modules unless they decide the current set does serve their purpose. I was/am surprised the was such a difference between old Venturing YPT and new all encompassing version.

The current online courses are:

SCO_3001 - Overview and policies

SCO_3003 - Sexual Abuse

SCO_3004 - Bullying

SCO_3007 - Certification Test

It strikes me that there are some gaps here in the numbers -  as if they intend to add more content.

Also - they have both a mandatory and helpful category.  Again, seems like they have infrastructure for more.

7 hours ago, ParkMan said:

The current online courses are:

SCO_3001 - Overview and policies

SCO_3003 - Sexual Abuse

SCO_3004 - Bullying

SCO_3007 - Certification Test

It strikes me that there are some gaps here in the numbers -  as if they intend to add more content.

Also - they have both a mandatory and helpful category.  Again, seems like they have infrastructure for more.

This happened a while ago when they broke the former Venturing YPT training into these multi-module set of courses. This was a while ago. I doubt that BSA thought that far in advance to about adding new modules. Never seen them do that before. Planning ahead? :rolleyes:;)

1 hour ago, Col. Flagg said:

This happened a while ago when they broke the former Venturing YPT training into these multi-module set of courses. This was a while ago. I doubt that BSA thought that far in advance to about adding new modules. Never seen them do that before. Planning ahead? :rolleyes:;)

The "new" format of modular YPT has only been around for a month or so. Several of our venturers completed the "old" Venturing-specific YPT last month. The crew committee training was revised close to a year ago, and now consists of a dozen or so modules.

Regardless, the question remains - how does this "new" YPT format serve Venturing? For that matter, how does it serve the newly-forming dens of female cub scouts?

19 hours ago, Rock Doc said:

Regardless, the question remains - how does this "new" YPT format serve Venturing? For that matter, how does it serve the newly-forming dens of female cub scouts?

I don't suspect we will get an answer to these questions until BSA makes up its mind about females in Scouting overall. How will Venturing work after Boy Scouts for Girls comes around? If past experience holds true, BSA will make changes to their program and then, months later, figure out what training is required.

Took the new YPT this morning (assuming I needed the most updated one for camp staff).

Its completely different from the old YPT in my opinion.

I feel like the new one is like a a documentary/lesson.

It focused A LOT on sexual abuse. I feel like they should’ve focused more on two deep, digital, buddy system, etc. instead of a 30 second voice over for each.