NBC-WSJ Poll on BSA 10/11 decision

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/majority-opposes-boy-scouts-decision-allowing-girls-join-n815691

The NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll was conducted October 23-26, 2017 and has an overall margin of error of +/-3.27 percent.

Sorry I do not know size of sample base nor how many, if any, were scouts or scouters.

Nearly six-in-ten Americans — 57 percent — disagree with the move to allow girls to join the Boy Scouts, with 37 percent voicing strong opposition.

Thirty-six percent overall say they support the decision.

favor_or_oppose_the_boy_scouts_admitting

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back Pack, thank you for your insight. On the whole you "get" the intention of the program. Keep the faith.

For those who wish to view the progression of scouting, one has to go back and look at the whole picture.   Generally speaking the first 50 years of scouting, the program grew into a powerhouse boy'

Certainly you can do that, but what you get voting are those that feel particularly strongly one way or the other about it. And the result may not be representative. So you may say to that well if the

The only good aspect of this poll is that the next generation of BSA parents are in favor (if you believe the cross tabs). I think the BSA should reconsider their decision on branding and will need to work on an ad campaign. While the 18-34 are the next parents the 65+ probably donate the most $.

Interesting, thanks for posting.  I am sure they asked a lot of people with no skin in the game or not likely to enroll kids if they have them. 

I get that BSA is gambling on the future --maybe they have no choice-- but at the risk of cannibalizing the support in the meantime. It will be interesting to see how what actually occurs in the field shifts public perception much. Regardless I fully expect National to shoot themselves in the foot somehow.

I will make one prediction-regardless of how much money Friends of Scouting actually takes in this year it will be proclaimed an all time success!

• Upvote 2

I really dislike news stories that publish survey results but don't publish the survey. We have no idea how the question was worded or even if the change was fully explained. I think it fair to assume that the vast majority of non-scouters (and probably scouters) think the change means full integration instead of inclusion but continued segregation by den and Troop. I think it also fair to assume that the vast major of non-scouters are not aware that it is optional and that no Troop will be required to accept girls.

It would be like asking the general public if they approve of the change made to Eagle Palms without detailing just want exactly has changed.

If anyone can find the actual survey details, please share it with the rest of us.

WSJ does lean conservative. But, I would like to think that they'd poll well beyond their readership.

Very odd. No categories like former boy scout/cub scout/girl scout or donor to/volunteer for the BSA in the past year/next year.

I suspect NBC doesn't have the full survey. It's hard to imagine a business journal not asking questions that get at investment optics.

Politically, this should be a big concern for Democrats who might hope Independents will be so disenchanted with the current administration that they would sway in their favor. There is a non-negligible gap in that a majority of Dems are applaud social change and a majority of Indeps favor conservation.

The WSJ is behind a pay wall. Does anyone with a subscription know whether they gave more detail on their questions.

I agree with Hawkwin that unless the maintenance of single gender troops and dens is part of the question it doesn't really give much insight as to how the proposal will ultimately fare. On the other hand, if we assume that most people don't understand that this is not a proposal to have teenage boys and girls camping together that is going to be a big informational challenge for BSA to overcome.

I would love to see the results on whether people think girls should be allowed to earn Eagle Scout.

And just in case anyone is wondering, yes, I also have the same complaint of the official press release from Nationals that quoted survey results but then didn't publish the survey. If I was king for a day, one of my edicts would be to ban any publishing of poll or survey results without the supporting data. I have my doubts about any survey that can get 90% of people to agree on any topic.

I’ve asked this before but why can’t scouting do their own survey? I know someone said it’s like 15 bucks a person but that can’t be right for a do your own survey. Scouting reached out to 300k plus people previously and I can’t find any reference to 5m being spent on a survey in the annual report. I’ve looked back to 2012 and can’t find it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/03/14/voice-of-the-scout-membership-policy-survey-questions-give-scouters-parents-a-chance-to-be-heard/amp/

• Upvote 1

The only good aspect of this poll is that the next generation of BSA parents are in favor (if you believe the cross tabs). I think the BSA should reconsider their decision on branding and will need to work on an ad campaign. While the 18-34 are the next parents the 65+ probably donate the most $.

Based on the info given, 18-34 year olds are within the margin of error.

The only good aspect of this poll is that the next generation of BSA parents are in favor (if you believe the cross tabs).

How does 47% translate to "in favor"? Conversely, 53% of that same age group are not in favor. One could see that as "bad" given that a person might expect that age group to be more progressive, no?

I’ve asked this before but why can’t scouting do their own survey? I know someone said it’s like 15 bucks a person but that can’t be right for a do your own survey. Scouting reached out to 300k plus people previously and I can’t find any reference to 5m being spent on a survey in the annual report. I’ve looked back to 2012 and can’t find it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/03/14/voice-of-the-scout-membership-policy-survey-questions-give-scouters-parents-a-chance-to-be-heard/amp/

BSA National does not care what the scouts and scouters think.  The limited survey that was done over the summer was not a honest survey. They showed a video pushing hard  to let girls into scouting and then the survey questions were written in a very leading way to get the answers they wanted.   They know what they are doing is unpopular, they are just going to force it through.  

• Upvote 1

How does 47% translate to "in favor"? Conversely, 53% of that same age group are not in favor. One could see that as "bad" given that a person might expect that age group to be more progressive, no?

Eagle1993 defined "next parents" as18-34 age group. From chart 18-34, 47% in favor, 44% oppose. Considering just that group, those in favor would win.

Edited by RememberSchiff

Eagle1993 defined "next parents" as18-34 age group. From chart 18-34, 47% in favor, 44% oppose. Those in favor would win.

Margin of error is 3.27%...so the jury is out on that. 

At any rate, my second point is still true. One would expect that generation to be more progressive. Having a result land within the margin of error is hardly a resounding "in favor" proclamation (my words, no one else's). And yes, it could easily be 50.27% in favor as it could be 47.27% against. Point being, not resounding and certainly unexpected.

I find it interesting that females did not seem more in favor.

Good point. I wonder if they see the move by BSA to be an eroding of GSUSA's purview, much like some here (I among them) think it is an eroding of Boy Scouting. That would be an interesting follow up question.

Edited by Col. Flagg

Why can't scouts do their own survey and do it right? Should be easy enough for some high school or college boys to setup up a voting website. Authentication will be a problem and I don't expect the BSA to provide their member database.

Edited by RememberSchiff